PDA

View Full Version : Late Herceptin? Port Needed?

*_Linda in Calif._*
06-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi All: Here's a couple of questions for all of you....I'm trying to convince my Onc. to allow me to take 9 more months of Herceptin. I only recieved 3 months of Herceptin treatment originally because of reduction of heart function - my heart function didn't get lower than normal, I just started out really high. I think the reason I had the temporary reduction in heart function was because I had the A/C very close to when I recieved the Herceptin/Taxol portion of my treatment and if I did it now, with monitoring (MUGA'S), I should be fine. It's been 2 years since the last Herceptin. Do you think there is any benifit for me to push for the remaining Herceptin?...my Onc is really dragging his feet over it. Also, do I HAVE to have my "Port" put back in or can I just use my reg. veins...they have never had any "chemo damage" because I had my Port for all of my chemo treatments. Any info would be great. Thanks! Linda in Calif.

*_Linda in Calif._*
06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
I forgot to mention that I am Stage III and NED at this time. Linda

StephN
06-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi Linda -
You do not need a port just for Herceptin.

I kept my port in and still use the same one for almost 5 years now. Since I have only the veins in my left arm that can be used for needle sticks, I decided to save those veins for things like injections of contrast when I have scans and MRIs (and those are pretty often!). Those few veins will be needed for a long time so I am careful with them!

Good luck in your quest for more Herceptin.

imported_Joe
06-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Linda,

Christine has been taking Herceptin since September 1999 and doesn't need a port at all.

Also, many women claim that COq10 helps to strengthen the heart muscles. Christine takes this every day and her latest ejection factor was 60%.

Regards
Joe

Merridith
06-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Joe:

What is COq10? Is there a more generic/brand name by which I could find it?

Regards,
Merridith

*_Barbara2_*
06-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Merridith, Look at the "muga" topic posted just above your question. Joe posted a website there that explains COQ10. I think I will try it.

Barb