PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on tx decision

*_Michelle_*
06-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Ladies-Im wondering if anyone else here only recieved 4 AC and then rads with herceptin for thier tx.Don't get me wrong I dont like chemo, but I'm wondering why I'am not getting taxol. My diagnosis was 1.9 cm mass, grade 3 invasive ductal, er/pr+, her2+ with no nodes.I would love to hear what someone else thinks. I feel like I should push for the taxol.Am I crazy??
Best Wishes
Michelle

Gloria
06-06-2005, 04:45 AM
I'm almost 5 years out of treatment - I had 2 cm tumor, ER/PR+, Her2+++, Grade 3, and no nodes - at the time the protocol was A/C and RADS only if nodes were negative. Of course, I was refused Herceptin at the time because they thought the risks outweighed the benefits. Ask your Onc and if you're not satisfied with his/her explanation, get a second opinion.

Doris
06-06-2005, 04:57 AM
I also got 4 treatments of A/C, then rads. I am also node neg. My oncologist said that is the protocol for node neg. breast cancer. I finished the chemo in Dec. 2004 and the rads in Mar. 2005.

Rhonda4
06-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I was dx 2/1/05, Stage 1 (1.6 cm), no nodes, er/pr-, weakly her2+ (FISH 3.16). I had an excisional biopsy on 2/1/05, partial mastectomy and lymph node disection on 2/7/05 and just finished 6 rounds of dose dense taxotere, epirubicin and cytoxin on 5/18/05. I started radiation on 6/2/05. Everything I've read and heard indicates to me that the taxotere is usually used if the other drugs failed (which I'm glad he did this up front rather than WAIT for it to fail) and other docs I've talked to as well as my cousin who is a pharmacist says that since I am weakly her2 and my doc prefers not to put me on herceptin (I still drink my tbs of olive oil a day though), this ALSO explains why he went straight to the taxotere. Good luck.

Cheryl
06-06-2005, 12:52 PM
I was diagnosed Stage 1, 1.7 cm, Grade 3, Estrogen +, HER2 3+on March 4. I was in the middle of my AC when the news hit about the clinical trials for Herceptin for Early Stage. My onc. was initially very hesitant about Herceptin when I asked. A few days later I received a phone call from her after she had attended a meeting of internationally renowned bc experts at the University of Minnesota where she presented the question of my case. They convinced her that this should be new protocol for all HER2 positive patients. I believe only HER2 3+ is actually considered positive though. By the time I was scheduled to start my Taxol we were ready to go. I have had 2 Taxol plus herceptin on my way to 12, followed by 40 more herceptin alone. I know I will always be glad I have done everything I can do. I had some trouble with the first dose of Taxol, as I had a strong acid reflux reaction. Now I am on 40 MG of pepcid daily and hoping to avoid this. I just had my 2nd today, so I can't comment much. Had some pretty bad body aches about day 3-5, but the heartburn was certainly adding to my discomfort in a huge way, and I was afraid to take pain meds in fear of further irritating my stomach at that point. Today, after my 2nd dose I am feeling really fine. Others have said that the benodryl really knocked them out the first day, but I'm just a little drowsy and expecting to sleep well tonight. I will not be having radiation as I have opted for mascectomy. I have been told that reoccurrence with lumpectomy +radiation is about 10%, while mascectomy is 1%. I'm going to take all of the %'s I can get my hands on.

Best wishes to you,
Cheryl

*_Les_*
06-06-2005, 03:43 PM
hi all, I was diagnosed in Dec 2003 1.3 cent. no nodes er+ HER2+++ I had lumpectomy 4 a/c and rads. Tamoxifen for the last year.I'm wondering what I should be asking my onc when I see him in July.Do I need more therapy (herceptin) or should I wait I may never need it. The docs where very positive that I had everything I needed but now I wonder. Is taxol for node positive? Should I ask about shutting down my ovaries?I'm 47and not very regular since chemo.
thanks so much I love this web site Leslie

*_Michelle_*
06-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Ladies-Thank you so much for your replies. I will be recieving herceptin, but my onc. does not want to add the taxol with it. Thursday will be my last AC, and I think I'm going to ask him to add the taxol/herceptin combo again. I really want to feel like I did everything possible. It sounds like all of you are doing well. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Best Wishes
Michelle

mts
06-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi- I had dose dense 4 AC and 4 Taxol. I am ER/PR- Her2 +++, node negative and 1.6 tumor that was not visible with Mammo (only MRI). The doc felt that I needed Taxol as "insurance" and that dose dense AC+T is more powerful than standard dose AC + T and considerably stronger than just AC . The reason for my dose dense was because of my age (42) and the HER2 +++ and of course my ER/PR negative status. The one good thing about the HER2 +++ cancer is that it is very susceptible to chemotherapy. So I took the megabomb of chemo for my type. I just finished my 35 rads and am feeling good.

Best of luck to you- remember, everything you read and research is overwhelming, and it is really important to be aware of the choices you may have. I had 3 medical opinions and all were different. In the end, the decision is yours.

warmly,

mts

*_Vicki Z_*
06-08-2005, 10:09 AM
hey mts, are you now taking herceptin or are you done with treatment? thanks, vicki

jhandley
06-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Hi Michelle
Recent research shows that taxotere reduces the recurrence rate from all types of BC by 30%. Other trial results that I have come across also show that taxotere plus herceptin reduces the rate of recurrence by 52 % compared to chemo. alone.
I was dx.in Mar 2001 (2cm, er-, 1 node positive) and went on the taxotere trial. I had 3 cycles of AC, 3 of taxotere and 3 of CMF. I found out in 2003 that my tumour was strongly her 2+ and based on the current research am thinking seriously about trying to get more taxotere and herceptin as it seems the best combo. I have been NED since diagnosis and face the same dilemma as others have mentioned ie. the large group of early stage her 2+ who are currently NED but have not had herceptin at all. I was very glad to get taxotere on the trial I was on in view of its good results.

Jackie (Australia)

mts
06-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Vicky Z: No herceptin. Did not qualify for trial (tumor not big enough -had two lumpectomies; long story).
Looked for Herceptin off trial... to no avail. Currently trying to get the insurance company to favorably accept Herceptin for me? You?

mts