PDA

View Full Version : To bare or not to bare

Lisa
06-04-2005, 06:55 PM
As the weather gets warmer, many of us are faced with the choice of wearing warm weather hats or scarfs, using a wig, or going bald. I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents about the benefits of going bald.

The benefits are to others, not really to me. It's like wearing a huge pink ribbon. When I'm bald, I inevitably am approached by people with friends or family with cancer OR people who are themselves survivors. Being bald makes for a great opportunity to support and educate. I get all kinds of questions and comments. How terrific to be able to serve by just walking down the street.

So if you do NOT want to talk about cancer, put on a wig. But if you like the opportunity to make a difference, consider going bald. I think you'll be glad you did.

Love and light to all,

Lisa

StephN
06-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Good for you - Lisa, you have guts that some don't.
How about a pretty pink HEADBAND when you are baring your pate?

OR how about Face Painting? Only on your skull. There was a woman at my cancer center who would come in with all sorts of things and designs painted on her bald head. She was a real novelty!

*_Cathy_*
06-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Dear Lisa, You are very brave and uninhibited. From your picture, you look like such a fun, cool girl. I think I still have the vanity thing going and need to wear the hat or wig even though most of the wigs I've seen look so fake. Do you know where to get a real looking wig? I used to see celebrities advertising them - like Raquel Welsh of Zha-Zha (sp.) Gabore- but I don't know where to look.You are an inspiration! God Bless! Cathy

StephN
06-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Ask Christine where she gets her wigs - they look great!

Rhonda4
06-05-2005, 12:17 PM
To me my comfort is more important than someone elses opinion. When people take "pity" on me, my reply is automatically " It could always be worse (I could not be here right now)".

Lisa
06-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey, I'm not saying bald is great for everyone. But it works for me. And as far as that "pity" thing, I very, rarely if ever get it. Quite the opposite. People are amazingly supportive and curious.

Just today a 9 or 10ish girl said to me, "Have you had cancer?" I said, "I do right now. Do you know someone else who has been bald?"

"No, " she said, "I just wondered."

"I'm taking medicine right now to help me."

"Do you think you'll be cured?" she continued.

"I really hope so," I said. "And we'll find a way so that little girls like you won't grow up to be bald, too."

She was very inquisitive and caring. Not the least bit shy. I love it.

Love and light to all,

Lisa

imported_Joe
06-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Christine gets her wigs online from Paula Young.

Paula Young Website (http://www.paulayoung.com)

We cannot speak highly enough about them. They have a no questions asked return policy. You can return any wig for any reason for either a refund or an exchange.

Although their prices are inexpensive, we found their quality to be superb.

Their telephone support is excellent and they will take the time to work with you.

Warmest Regards
Joe

joy
06-06-2005, 04:16 PM
YOU ROCK!

love, joy

Fontaine
06-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a feeling I'm talking to just the right person here!

Shortly after I transferred to my current position (although I'm thankfully now on disability), I was counseled by my boss who was "spoken to" by her boss. Apparently, two male co-workers overheard me talking about having had cancer (this is a second time--stage 1, other breast--for me). He complained to my boss's boss about it saying it had upset him since his mother had died from breast cancer.

My boss thought it was sexist but still told me not to discuss breast cancer "publicly."

I thought they were all full of it, but wanting to remain gainfully employed, ceded to their wishes. After reading your post, I kind of wish I'd made a formal complaint, citing discrimination under the ADD or some such. People should not be allowed to get away with this kind of behavior. I'm guessing you may be as disgusted as I was. (Because of this and some other things, I'll be looking for a new line of work shortly after I return to work from disability. Obvious conflict of values!

BTW, the last time I had chemo was during the fall and winter. This time will be over the summer. I've heard that wigs are hot as hades. Does anyone have any recommendations about this?

Cindy H.
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Wigs are hot....but I'm one big hot flash, anyway! I'm going with scarves this summer.....shaving my head tonight!