PDA

View Full Version : ER/PR+ and Herceptin

dberg
06-04-2005, 09:49 AM
For those that are er/pr+...

I'm going to start my "late" herceptin next week and was wondering if any other latecomers are taking tamox or AIs along with herceptin.

For those of you that were in the herceptin studies, when did you start your hormone therapy?

Becky
06-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I am starting my "late" Herceptin on June 17 (last chemo with Taxol was Jan 31 and finished rads on April 8). I was started on Tamoxifen immediately but I was just determined as absolutely postmenopausal this week with bloodwork and I start Arimidex today (my onco wanted me off Tamoxifen for 2 days in between). I just turned 46.

I am excited to be able to start the Herceptin as an adjuvant. It might not be as good as when you start with the Taxol but its got to be better than not getting it.

Does anyone have any stats on getting Herceptin this way?

I am glad I found this group. Being HER 2 positive is different than those who are not and the HER 2 negative friends I have don't understand the difference.

Thanks to all and have a great weekend.

Becky

PS: I will be getting Herceptin every Friday for 48 - 52 weeks. My onco isn't sure how many yet. Since some of you have had this therapy, what if I can't go in one of the Fridays and need to switch to a Thursday once in a blue moon? Can this be done or not (before the HERA trial, we booked 6 days in Cancun and leave on a Friday morning - I chose Fridays because I do a fair amount of business travel and Friday afternoons would allow me to continue on as usual).

*_Barbara2_*
06-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I am 26 months past my last chemo treatment, and have just started Herceptin. I, too, will get 52 treatments. Also take Arimidex. I am 54. I doubt that there are any stats on "late" Herceptin yet as it's too early.

Did either of you have trouble getting your insurance to pay for late Herceptin? We are really struggling with our company. I am hopeful they will eventually come through for us but in the meantime I have to write a check for $1,084 before each treatment. We have contacted Genentech and they were very helpful.

I am thankful for the opportunity to get Herceptin. I comparison to chemo, it is wonderful in regards to few side effects. Little by little, science is marching towards better treatments.

Blessings, Barb

*_Becky_*
06-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Barb

Keep up with your insurance company. My insurance is going to pay and I was surprised as I was ready to take out a home equity loan to pay for the treatments.

Becky

Doris
06-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Who is your insurance company. Does anyone know if Anthem will pay for Herceptin? I am Her2+++,er and pr +, Stage 2 with negative nodes. I think I will ask if they will pay for herceptin. My onc. indicates they will not because I am node neg. I cannot find any trials for node neg and Herceptin either. Any info will be appreciated. I am in Va. and view this board daily.

Becky
06-05-2005, 06:41 PM
My insurance company is Cigna and they are paying.

Becky

sassy
06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Doris,
Ask your provider to contact Anthem concerning coverage. If they deny, then request a "Peer to Peer" review. Meaning your onc talks directly with an onc from Anthem. Not administrators or nurses. Doctor to Doctor. Contact your agent to assist with this.

Hope this helps.