PDA

View Full Version : Any herceptin-based chemo trial results due?

*_Christine MH_*
06-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Hello everyone,

Here in the UK, the results of the AC -> (taxol + herceptin) -> herceptin trials seem to be causing more problems than they are solving. Many oncologists are concerned about the cardiotoxicity of the regime and therefore not using it at all. The sheer cost of the year of herceptin is also causing problems for many people, since even when it is licensed in Europe, it may not be available through the national health service for two years, causing problems for people whose insurance won't cover it or who can't otherwise afford it.

Does anybody know of any phase III trials using herceptin-based chemo without the long tail of herceptin and when they are expected to report out?

Best wishes,

Christine

*_Christine MH_*
06-03-2005, 03:02 PM
I should mention that I am interested in trials using herceptin-based chemo for early breast cancer to prevent recurrence.

fourboysMom
06-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi, I am currently in a chemo /herceptin study at Dana farber in Boston. This is a neoadjuvant study with surgery at the end of treatment. My tumor 5-6 cms has shrunk down to 1 cm so far. After surgery ,I'll go to Adriamycin/Cytoxin while taking a break from herceptin. Eventually I will receive Herceptin for 52 weeks. I might add that I am stll regarded as early stage. I am HER2Neu +3, hormone negative with a GradeIII tumor grade. Yet lymph has been negative!. I am 38 yrs old. Good luck to you, there are plenty of trials out there!

yuka
06-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi,fourboysmom.
I would like to know about the regimen you are taking now.
herceptin>surgery>AC>herceptin , right?
so you are now receiving herceptin only?

thanks in advance.

*_Christine MH_*
06-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Thank you, everybody. I did some checking and it appears that the results from BCIRG 006 are expected in late 2005 or early 2006. This should show whether a year of herceptin is necessary after AC -> herceptin + taxol and whether herceptin + carboplatin + taxol is just as good. So, still a wait, but at least the results should clarify a few matters.