PDA

View Full Version : CEA GURU's: please respond

Kristen
06-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Hello, and thank you in advance for answering my questions. I hope they aren't silly.

I stopped my year of Herceptin in December and had my first TM's drawn. They drew CA 27-29 and CA 15-3. Both were in normal range. In March we were in the lab and the doctor hadn't written the order and we ended up getting those and adding CEA to the mix. The first one came back 2.8, the range is 0-2.5. This month it came back 3.3 and my SGOT is 47 0-40 is normal and SGPT is 44 and 0-40 is normal.
When is a CEA high or something to worry about. These tests were taken 3 months apart.
Some history, this is why I am not to concerned. I started having periods again after 16 months and am having horrible headaches and found that I have a cyst that was 1 cm and is now 2cm in 6wks, they did another FSH test with this last batch and I am again in menopouase with it being 46.4. I feel that with all the hormones going wacko in my body and being in and out of menopause could put these TM"s out of range. Am I right or in denial. My onc has not contacted me yet on these reports and I hope she will tomorrow since she knows I have them. She maybe waiting to see what the Bayer serum test shows, that was also drawn this last time, but is not back yet. I feel like a yoyo, going from the onc to the neurologist to the gyn, I want my side and back to quit hurting and my head and to have a good summer with lots of energy this year. My CA 27-29 is still in normal range but rising and the same with the CA 15-3 up from 18.3 to 20 normal is 0.0-32.4 and the aformentioned 27 up from 22.9 normal is 0.-38.6.
Not freaking out, just curious, Thanks again. LOL k

Kristen
06-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Never Mind, I did a search and found the answers I was looking for. Thanks anyway.

StephN
06-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Kristen -
Can you post where you found the answers??

You stated that for the CEA 0 - 2.5 is normal.
On my lab results is states that 0 - 5 is normal - double what you stated.
Your meno-pause and -start should not affect your CEA - generally only inflammations which could be from your back pain.

Let us know what your docs had to say about all the numbers.

How did you get the Bayer serum test??

Kristen
06-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi Steph,
I went to the ASCO site and looked up the numbers. My labs come from CEA Serial Monitor. Then actually the site who sponsors the tests. ASCO, stated that you shouldn't worry about your markers unless they were over 5 and that hormones could make them increase. Which this would coincide with the periods that I had. I went out of menopause for a time there. I had 3 period in 6 weeks. The new FSH said I was back in menopause, so we will see if I have anymore of the littel buggers. The cyst is causing the pain in my back and legs at times and the hormones are giving me the headaches, that's what I think, but I have to got to 3 different doctors to find out anythig, which is nill, so I guess, I am trying to figure this one out on my own. Everyone seems puzzled.

ASCO stated that if they rise and they are under 5 it could mean a local reocurrance, but I don't seem to have any of that going on. My doctors aren't concerned. We haven't gotten the Bayer serum test results back so I don't know if that is what she is waiting on or what. No one seem to be worried about it. She hasn't called me or anything.
I am getting the Bayer test through the Genentech study, they will run the test every 6 months post Herceptin, which I stopped in December.

If you have any input or suggestions I would love to hear them. I am flying solo here. I read up more on the AST/ALT and I thougth they were more liver enzymes which they are, but they also have to do with your heart and repairing of the heart. I know mine aren't high at all, and if I was going to have a heart attack they would be like triple, but with passing out, I am a little concerned.

My friend just can't believe how blaise the doctors are about everythig. Is this normal? Just wait and see because the outcome or prognosis would be the same if it's caught early or late, or it's nothing? I like the idea that it's nothing. It's just that they grind it into your head that anything that isn't normal to let them know about it, it isn't normal, at least for the last 6 months, should you step it up to each month just to check? I know every little thing, like the periods and headaches don't mean the cancer is back either, I am seeing 3 different doctors. I don't know what to do. Any help Steph would be great. Thanks. K

StephN
06-07-2005, 12:06 PM
If this Bayer serum test is worth anything, it will tell you whether you have some cancer getting active again. This test is to count circulating cancer cells, if memory serves me.
Hormone fluctuations are also causes of some blood tests to have strange results, but that Bayer test should put things to rest. Good that you did that with all you have going on in your body.

Now that you have started with the CEA, try to stick with having it checked every couple of months or so. This turned out to be a VERY good indicator that my cancer was on the move somewhere - turned out to be tumors in my brain. Last check it was down to point 9, so I feel pretty certain these two tumors got zapped by the Gamma Knife just as they were supposed to.
I have another friend with terrible lympedema and her CEA is steady at 10-11 for the better part of a year now, but her last PET was neg. CEA is also an indicator of inflammation and the thought is that the lymphedema is also contributing to her high number.

Keep up the good work and if you can worry a little less and take one day at a time, your stress level will drop. You will get a benefit from just that!

Kristen
06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Dear Steph,
Thank you for your kind words and inspiration. I will, I don't think about it as much as it sounds. I am too busy working. It has it days though when the pain is bad or the headaches won't let up. Life is pretty darn good right now and I intend for it to stay that way for a long time. Thanks again. I am glad your treatment had beaten the buggers down and you are doing well. Take Care and Be Well. K