PDA

View Full Version : headaches on herceptin?

*_Cathy_*
05-31-2005, 04:39 AM
Hi! Last Thursday I had my third weekly dose of herceptin. I was doing fine with it but yesterday I had a headache in the right side of my head. I never had headaches before. It comes and goes. Nothing that interferred with what I was doing but I just wondered if anyone else had this side effect. God Bless- Cathy

Lolly
05-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Cathy, I've been taking Herceptin since 2001 and although I had a history of sinus headaches, they were occuring more frequently and with more intensity on Herceptin so I've had brain MRI's twice now to rule out brain mets. So far everything's fine but I will be asking for another brain MRI this year as it will have been a year since my last one.
It's probably just a headache, but if it worries you bring it to your onc's attention and ask for an MRI just to be sure.

<3,
Lolly

madubois63
05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
I get the headaches every once in a while. They don't last long, but are intense. I've been on herceptin for eight months now along with chemo. I know it's the Herceptin because I get the headaches on my weeks off from chemo - I get Herceptin every week. I've had a brain MRI and I officially have nothing in my head....
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

Denise in PA
05-31-2005, 07:45 PM
I have been taking Herceptin alone for 7 months and have only had a couple of headaches during that time. Of course, since I never got headaches before, I think I have brain mets. But the headaches only last for an hour or so.
Good luck!
Denise in PA

Mary H.
06-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Cathy, I had a year of adjuvant weekly herceptin (ended 12/02). I was having some problems with headaches which I attributed to the herceptin (I didn't get headaches when I received a/c or taxol). I told the onc nurses and they said it sometimes happens if the herceptin is administered too rapidly. They slowed down the infusion a bit (I think it took 30 minutes longer), and the headaches disappeared. If the headaches continue to be a problem, ask the nurses about this. Best wishes, Mary.

Margo
06-01-2005, 09:57 AM
My headaches and skin rash on my hands went away after my infusion time was increased to 1'-15".

The other side effect that remains is joint pain - feet, knees, hips (especially the left one), wrists, and ocasionally my spine. There are three other patients with HER2 at the cancer center who are also experiencing significant joint pain. I do not let this bother me, though. It is my way of knowing the Herceptin is working!

Margo

Diagnosed Aug 2, 2004
Stage IV adenosquamous carcinoma BC
Her2 3+ @ greater than 90%
w/mets to the liver
Nodes 6/6
Taxotiere, Carboplatin, & Herceptin: 5 rounds (Herceptin weekly)
Liver RFA, followed by 2 rounds TCH (Herceptin weekly)
Lumpectomy followed by 2 rounds TCH (Herceptin weekly)
Radiation: 6000 Centigreys(cGy) - 7 weeks / breast, shoulder & clavicle area, neck. (Herceptin weekly)

Continuing Herceptin weekly until a clear PET/CT. Then I can go every 2 weeks.

My husband and I are watching the progress of the vaccine trials, and other drug therapies.

Lauren H
06-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Cathy,
While I have always gotten headaches, I did notice a pattern of "new" headaches while I was on herceptin. I got the 3 weekly dose by itself for one year on Wednesdays.... by Friday of a herceptin week, I had a horrible headache.... When this started (not right away but a few treatments into it) I had a brain MRI for another problem and it was clear so we knew that wasn't the problem.

Eventually, my doctor prescribed a powerful headache reliever to help me through the post herceptin headaches.... I've read of others with similar experiences so I know it happens, even though it is not overly common. If you are concerned request a brain MRI to ease your mind....

Hope this helps. Love and hugs,
Lauren

StephN
06-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi -
I have been so headache free that not even my brain mets this January caused any!
Herceptin has been my "drug of choice" for 3.5 years now and I have no headache at all from it. I have been on both weekly with chemos and tri-weekly now for 3 years.
The nurse usualy sets the infusion time for 45 minutes, and this works well for me.
Hope the headaches will get better as you will need your Herceptin for along time!