PDA

View Full Version : I am not going to make a fuss about this

Lyn
05-31-2005, 04:05 AM
Well, what can I say, got all my results back and, Yep, nothing there againnnnnnn. With me it never lasts long. I ahve been playing this game since 1998, and I am due for a holiday from it. I said to my onc I might be cured and he said "I hate that C word". So I am having fortnightly herceptin, and as soon as it is possible I will have another mammo and ultra sound. In the meantime I am going to make sure my body gets up over the alkaline recommended level. I tested mine at the hospital today and both saliva and urine were about 6, so I am under the limit of 7 and above. Shocked one of the nurses when she saw one of the strips in my mouth. Makes sense when you consider your body is about 70% water, we are a lot like a swimming pool, when the chemicals are wrong it grows algae, fungus, green and black spots which all multiply and mutate, and the water needs Hydrachloric Acid for the PH, so now I think of myself as a swimming pool. So I will be off getting my Hydrachloric Acid pills and my PH test strips. Bet you all thought water was to quench your thirst, well here is the nitty gritty, and I am going to be drinking more of it with a slice of lemon, and apple cidar vinegar and honey.

WATER

Water is second only to oxygen in importance for health. The body could not survive longer than five days without it. It makes up 65-75% of the body. Every one of the trillions of body cells needs water to perform its functions.

Water maintains balance, lubricates, eliminates wastes and toxins, hydrates the skin, regulates body temperature, and acts as a shock absorber for joints, bones and muscles.

Water adds and carries nutrients, minerals, and vitamins, proteins and sugars for digestion. It lowers sodium, improves gland and hormone functions and helps the liver breakdown and release fat. Water cleanses the body inside and out. It is the fluid necessary for all chemical change and action. Water enters the body from the gastrointestinal tract and leaves through the urine.

THE PURPOSE OF WATER

Allows food to reach the cells and waste to be carried away.
Is involved in digestion, absorption, circulation and excretion.
Helps maintain a normal body temperature
Essential for the blood, lymph, digestive juices, glandular secretions and waste products.
Must be replaced daily.
8% of total water is in the bloodstream and needs to be in constant balance
The body cannot survive without water for longer than five days.
Eliminates bacteria, viruses, and heavy metals that can adversely affect the brain.
Transmits nerve impulses
Contracts muscles
Regulates the acid-base balance
The human body needs high water containing foods because the body is 70% water.
The two foods with high water content: Fruits and Vegetables
FACTS ABOUT DRINKING WATER:

Water may contain as many as 500 different disease-causing bacteria, viruses and parasites.
No filter can prevent bacteria or viruses from passing through.
Hard water contains calcium and magnesium
Soft water may be hard water treated with sodium, which removes calcium and magnesium. Softened water is more likely to dissolve the lining of pipes, lead, plastic or galvanized pipes are composed of cadmium - copper pipes.
Chlorine was introduced in the early 1900’s to disinfect water supplies. Since pollution keeps getting worse, authorities have been increasing chlorine amounts. High levels have been linked with genetic damage, bladder cancer and gastrointestinal cancer.
Many water supplies contain chemicals such as iron, silicone, aluminum, fluoride and chlorine, which block nutrients.
Symptoms from tap water: Inability to concentrate ….Impaired memory ….Loss of reality ….Depression ….Personality changes ….Psychotic behavior ….Headaches

Nausea ….Increased heart rate ….Slow articulation.

BODY FLUIDS:

Intracellular fluid 70 percent of the total body water is intracellular fluid found inside the cells. Intracellular fluid contains large quantities of potassium, phosphate and proteins.

Extracellular fluid consists of fluids outside the cells. The extracellular fluid contains large quantities of sodium and chloride ions and smaller amounts of proteins. Extracellular fluids wash the cells, move nutrients throughout the tissues of the body.

Lymph fluid seeps through the gastrointestinal tract and balances the fluid level, fights infection, absorbs and transports fluid.

Cerebrospinal fluid bathes the brain and spinal cord. The bloodstream contains 8% of the body fluid.

CONDITIONS OF WATER IMBALANCES

The blood sodium concentration level is a good indicator of the amount of water in the body. When sodium is too high the body retains water in order to dilute the excess sodium. Thirst develops and less urine is produced. When sodium level is too low, the kidneys excrete more water to bring the sodium level back into balance. When the water intake matches the water loss the body’s water is in balance.

THIRD SPACING Third spacing happens when the fluid accumulates in areas that normally have no fluid or only minimum amounts of fluid. Example: fluid can gather in the bowel. Third spacing takes fluid away from the normal fluid areas. Can cause sudden weight loss or gain.

DEHYDRATION Dehydration is a deficiency in water balance. The output is greater than the intake. Deficiency can cause the sodium level in the bloodstream to rise. If you get dehydrated, sweat is drawn from the water content of your blood, reducing its volume. Your heart beats faster when less blood is available to fuel your muscles and cool the skin.

Dehydration causes thirst, if water cannot keep up with water loss, dehydration becomes severe. Sweating decreases and less urine is produced. The body tissues begin to dry out, cells shrink and malfunction. Brain cells dehydrate and cause confusion.

Causes of Dehydration: Vomiting ….Diarrhea ….Use of diuretics ….Excessive heat ….Fever ….Decreased water intake. ….Coffee, tea, caffeinated soft drinks and alcohol are all diuretics that promote dehydration. ….Very high protein diets dehydrate. ….Diseases: Diabetes and Addison’s disease. ….Possible deficiency of antidiuretic hormone, treatment with synthetic antidiuretic hormone may be needed.

Symptoms: Symptoms of dehydration depend partly on the cause and whether there is an association with an imbalance of salt. ….Thirst ….Weakness ….Sore and tight muscles …Dry and wrinkled skin ….Sunken eyes ….Weight loss ….Mental confusion

Treatment:

If severe intravenous fluids containing sodium chloride can be given rapidly at first and then slowly as condition improves.

Dehydration conditions cause the water to leave the cells and help balance the body fluids. As a result the cells become dehydrated.

In the diseases in which there is loss of salt and too much water the low sodium in the fluid and blood causes water to enter the cells. The cells have enough fluid while the tissues outside the cells are suffering from dehydration. This type of dehydration does not cause thirst.

Both types of dehydration cause a gradual weight loss amounting to about 2 or 3 pounds a day. As dehydration progresses the tissues tend to shrink, the skin becomes dry and wrinkled, and the eyes become shrunken.

OVERHYDRATION:

Overhydration is an excess of water in the body. Water input is greater than output. It causes the sodium to become diluted too much. Drinking excessive water doesn’t usually cause overhydration if the pituitary gland, kidneys and heart are functioning normally.

Overhydration is common in individuals whose kidneys don’t excrete water normally, such as with heart, kidney or liver disease.

The organ most susceptible to overhydration is the brain. It causes mental confusion. With overhydration, excess water is found both within and around the cells. This condition doesn’t generally result in signs of fluid accumulation.

Treatment: Restrict fluid intake or the use of diuretics. May need to limit water and salt.

DRINK WATER!

Water is the only fluid that the body needs to maintain health. The body needs between 2.2 and 3.6 quarts of water a day. When you eat fruits and vegetables you provide the body with pure distilled water.

Water isn’t pure and definitely is not safe if it is filled with bacteria and chemicals. Distilled water is healthy but the minerals are gone. It does provide the oxygen and hydrogen content. Distilled water can be purchased in most grocery stores. Making water safe is an inexpensive adventure. All you need is a stainless steel pot and a stovetop. Boil water for fifteen minutes. Let it cool and scoop it into a pitcher and refrigerate. Leave about an inch of water in the bottom of the pot to insure that you do not drink mineral or metal content from the water pipes. Adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice can help aid digestion. Minerals can be purchased from a health food store to replace the lost minerals.

If you drink distilled water take a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement daily.

Lemonade and fruit juices can be counted as water sources. They tend to be too concentrated so use half water and half juice.

Helpful Hint: Monitor urine color - the darker the urine, the more water is needed.

WATER STUDIES AND REFERENCES

Most common contaminates is U.S. waters, according to a 1991 report from the Environmental Associates of the Academy of National Sciences in Philadelphia,

The most common contaminants are bacteria, viruses, and parasitic protozoa - and the primary source of these microbes is human and animal feces.

. "Plasma and cerebrospinal fluid measures of arginine vasopressin secretion in patients with bulimia nervosa and in healthy subjects." Demitrack M.A., Kalogeras K.T., Altermus M., Pigott T.A., Listwak S.J., Gold P.W., Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism Jun 74 (6): 1277-83 1992

Normal-weight female bulimic patients who had abstained from binge eating and purging for at least a month were studied. It was shown that they had irregularities in the hormonal process that regulates fluid volume in the body, a fact that may be relevant to their behavior.

*_Velva_*
05-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Here's hoping you dance with NED a long time! V

Lolly
05-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Lyn, GREAT NEWS, even if you ARE taking it so casually! Yep, water's good stuff, I drink lots of it. I always have my water bottle with me. We drink filtered water, and I even BUY the stuff if I've run off without some! Like they say, "Don't leave home without it"!

<3,
Lolly

Sandy H.
06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi Lyn: Great news! As for testing the PH with the strips. I asked my supplement consultant also a few others that I know that do supplement research and was told its not reliable. Too many things can interfer with the testing. If you drink water before testing it can change either way. The body fluids change and so that is one of the reason why its not reliable. She said if it was reliable then it would be used by the doctors but its not. The people that sell the tests strips are the ones who promote it. I tried doing it and found it changes so frequently that I gave up. I saw this information and so for while thought, WOW, this is cool and that I should do it. Then, I found out for myself that I couldn't keep a balance with it. It is good that you are trying it and I will be interested in knowing how it works for you. I ate all alkaline foods for a few days and I still couldn't keep the PH above 6. I can tell when my body is acidic so I know this didn't work for me. Good luck, I believe we have to keep moving on and stay tuned in with our bodies and for each of us that maybe something different. Thanks for sharing. hugs, Sandy

imported_Joe
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Lyn,

Congratulations (again). You have been one of our treasures on this site ever since you first logged in in 2002.

We've both laughed and cried with you. Your greatest contribution is the inspiration that you give everyone here.

Warmest Regards
Christine and Joe