PDA

View Full Version : Chemo side effects?

S
05-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Hello:

My mother is one weekly cycles of Taxotere and herceptin and for the first 3 weeks everything was fine...In the last two weeks she is constantly feeling nausious..and cannt event bear to hear someone talk about food...when she does eat she gets a sharp pain in her back (under the upper left shoulder blade)...she use to get this pain a long time ago and doctors at that time mentioned that it was gas...her pain subsides once that area is massaged and/or she takes a medicine for gas.

My mother a normally strong women, is talking abt giving up..she says she cant bear this too long...her nausea has caused her too lose alot of weight and because of this she does not have any energy and every night cries herself to sleep..

I cant see my mother like this, any advice from anyone who has gone through the same thing...pls pls help..I really need some perspective on how to handle this.

Ps. If my mother does decide to eat..it is usually something sweet like custard, ice cream etc..which Ive heard is bad for cancer...She cant really help this as her taste buds have gone and everything smells bad to her.

Thanks

S

imported_Joe
05-30-2005, 11:49 AM
S,

Your Mom's side effects are due to the Taxotere
Taxotere Side Effects (http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/Breastcancer/Drugtherapy/Taxotere/WhatarethesideeffectsofTaxotere)

You or your Mom may wish to discuss these side effects with her oncologists as some medications can be prescribed which may alleviate some of them.

Unfortunately Taxotere or Taxol are given for about 16 weeks with Herceptin and your Mom is only about 1/3rd through this treatment.

Herceptin on the other hand has very few side effects and her quality of life will greatly improve after the Taxotere is discontinued.

Warmest Regards
Joe

*_Penny_*
05-30-2005, 06:01 PM
S,
As far as what your mom is eating....I don't know if the ice cream and custard is bad for cancer or not. But when my mom had trouble eating and her taste buds had changed, they told her to eat whatever appealed to her.

Lisa
05-30-2005, 06:14 PM
When I feel like she does, I think about giving up, too. But then, the sun comes out, I feel better and there's no reason not to keep up the fight. Throughout her treatments, she'll have ups and downs. Joe is right. Talk to her onc about side effect treatments. They exist.

As far as the sweets go, buy her all the ice cream she can eat. The most important thing now is NOT to worry about sugar, but to keep her strength up and her weight, as well. This is all temporary. She WILL feel like eating again and she WILL want to keep fighting. Be strong for her and for yourself.

Love and light,

Lisa

Cheryl
05-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Is your mom getting Zofran or another anti-nausea medication?

Patty H
05-30-2005, 07:26 PM
When I couldn't eat, I mixed ice cream with insure so I got my sweets plus some nutrition. They also have a lot of different drugs for nausia. She may have to try different ones to find the one that works for. The crying at night makes me wonder is she on an antidepreesent? If not it might help.
Patty H

Lolly
05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
When I was on AC, I ate LOTS of ice cream, and mashed potatoes with butter also tasted good. The custard is good because of the eggs in it, that will give her protein. And I am with Patty, talk to her doctors about an anti-depressant as it can really help with the grief and sadness we all experience with this disease. She'll get through this with your love and support, she's lucky to have you. Take care of yourself too, you need your strength to help her stay strong.

<3,
Lolly

imported_Joe
05-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I received an email from WebMD today. What Timing.

Managing Side Effects (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/106/108251?rp=refp_rctr_abra_eete)

Regards
Joe

S
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Thank you everyone...Joe ur last email is really perfect timing..Im gonna try to get this article to my mother's oncologist tomorrow..Once again thanks

S