PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Taxol + Herceptin for 12 weeks

Cheryl
05-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Hi everyone. I have just finished my two awful months of AC and I am preparing to start Taxol + herceptin weekly for 12 weeks in a few days. I have finally had a few "good" days here at the end, and now I am getting very anxious about this weekly thing. On the AC it took me 10 to 12 days to recover to the point of anything like normal, and then they would hit me again. Am I in for 3 more months of feeling this way? I was very weak, WBC plunged every time even with Neulasta, became anemic, couldn't stand the smell of anything, including my husband (and he doesn't smell bad!) The onc. nurses tell me most people don't have as much trouble with Taxol, but I would like to hear from those of you who really know what it's like weekly.

Thank you in advance,
Cheryl

Joannie
05-28-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi:
I took four rounds of Taxol. I tolerated it better than AC. I don't think it was much better, just different. Less nausea, but a lot of bone pain for me. The nurse said that was due to the Neulasta. I know other people who took Taxol and didn't have any bone pain. You will do fine. Just hang in there and count down!

*_Cathy_*
05-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Hi Cheryl- Nothing to me was worse than adromycin. The taxol was so much better. I call it the "funny" drug because it gave me funny pains in my legs that made them feel rubbery and wiggly, kind of like how the scarecrow walked in the Wizard of Oz. But when I got the pains, the doctor gave me some pain killer that took them all away.The only other thing is that it gave me neoropathy in my feet that lasted probably six months but over time it went away completely.I didn't miss a thing on that drug. I went everywhere- graduation parties, reunions, etc. You'll do great! God Bless- Cathy

Cheryl
05-28-2005, 08:23 AM
thanks Cathy,

were you on it weekly?

Lisa
05-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I've been on weekly Taxol and weekly, then tri-weekly Herceptin for months now. I've lost count. There is no comparison to AC. Side effects with Taxol can include hair loss and neuropathy in hands and feet. Treat/avoid the neuropathy with B6 and 3 grams of L-Glutamine daily. I've never had nausea, but I am tired a lot. Then again, I've been on this regime for months now.

Love and light,

Lisa

StephN
05-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi -
I took weekly Taxol WITH Navelbine and Herceptin for 7 months to beat out my liver mets. I had Taxotere the previous year and that was the worst drug for me - even worse than Adria!
I only had to miss my weekly treatment 2 times in all those months due to low counts.
There are some things you can do to help with your strength. Eat enough protein or eggs, foods high in iron like lentils and spinach, take folic acid and B6 supplements as well as what Lisa suggested for neuropathy.

If you get the pains your onc should give you Neurontin, which really works to settle that down so you can go about things you need to do.
I also took and still take Coenzyme Q10 - it is a good blood oxygen carrier and will help your heart.

Good luck and knowing it is only 12 week will help as you cross them off the calendar. I was on the drugs either until I could not take them any more or my tumors were killed and no longer growing. I chose the latter!

vpfeiffer
05-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Cheryl--
I have taken weekly Herceptin, Taxol & Carboplatin since March 17, and I had three months of this combination weekly during December January and February. I have three more weeks to go. I have taught my Spin classes all the while with little difficulty, and I have continued to work full-time with a modified schedule. Lately I am experiencing a bit of nausea, which I haven't dealth with before, but otherwise I am doing great! You will too :-)

Val

Lyn
05-31-2005, 04:30 AM
Hi Cheryl, hope you are feeling better. Found out today I am now NED again, and before my radiation and Xeloda recently for the right breast I was on Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin for 23 weeks for enlarged glands in the neck. I will stay on Herceptin fortnightly until my next episode. I am planning on making the Guiness Book of records for continual treatment. I would much prefer staying NED.

Love & Hug Lyn