PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this?

*_Cathy_*
05-28-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi- I just had my third weekly treatment of herceptin. I have about 3 or four loose bowel movements every day with just a little stomach pain. Did anyone have this and does it get worse over time? I'm concerned because they want to start me on xeloda this week and one of the side effects is diarreah. Thanks for your help! Cathy

StephN
05-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi -
Are you taking anything else that could contribute to this problem??
I started Celebrex after beating my liver mets and this caused the same problem for me with the 400mg dose. I cut back to 200mg and that was fine. I took Herceptin at the same time (still do) and never had this a side effect of Herceptin.
Even nerves will cause the loose stools. You could have an intestinal bug.
Hope it is better in a day or so.

*_Cathy_*
05-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Dear Steph- No, I'm taking nothing else but the Dr. wants to add a drug called xeloda this week 4000 mgs. One of the side effects is diarreah so I'm nervous about taking it. I do have a lot of stress. My husband suffers from depression and addictions and is really acting up this week.Thanks for your help! God Bless- Cathy

JKrak1975
05-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I finished a year of weekly herceptin the end of Feb. I must tell you that I had the same issues....not really diarreha (sp!) but certainly loose....and EVERY time I went to the bathroom. I'm good now....but I'm taking calcium which can cause constipation.....the good news is that it just caused regular for me!! I'd mention it to your Dr. just in case but mine just noted it and we went on. For life, it's not a horrible side effect! Just wanted you to know you aren't alone. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. It must be so difficult to deal with all of that at the same time you are dealing with all of your own issues. I wish you well! You will find the ladies on the board a great support system.......Judy

*_Cathy_*
05-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks Judy!That's exactly what I have- every time I go to the bathroom. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with that.But I'm supposed to start xeloda this week and I know it causes diahreah so I don't know if it will be too much. Did you start the calcium while on the herceptin.?Maybe I should do that now? God Bless- Cathy

Barbara2
05-29-2005, 01:24 PM
3 days ago, I received a loading dose of herceptin (alone). I will be taking it weekly. I was given a brochure published by Genentech containing info about Herceptin.

Under "Safety Summary" it said:
"In clinical trails, an infusion-associated symptom complex consisting most commonly of chills and/or fever was observed in approximately 40% of patients during the first infusion. Other side effects may include nausea, vomiting, pain (in some cases at tumor sites), and headache. These symptoms occurred infrequently with subsequent infusions. Overall, there was an increased incidence of anemia, leukopenia, diarrhea, and infection in patients receiving Herceptin in combination with chemotherapy."

Then it went on to dicuss developoment of heart problems.

I normally am more on the constipated side, but after this first dose, I was much more loose than usual, immediately following the treatment. Since then, I have been back to normal.

Hope this helps. I haven't been to this site, but it was listed on the brochure: www.herceptin.com

JKrak1975
05-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Kathy, after I finished the herceptin it was decided that I should go on Arimidex because I also have atypical lobular hyperplasia. Oncologist did not want to start the arimidex while I was doing the herceptin (BTW..off label). One week after stopping herceptin, I started arimidex and also started calcium along with it. I'm not sure if it was stopping the herceptin, taking the calcium or the fact that I also had colonoscopy with removal of polyps that did it but.....I'm not "normal" :-) I just wanted you to know that the loose stools was something I had all the time I was doing herceptin along with a really drippy nose:-) But...of life, I'll take it!!!! Not the worst side effect you can have:-) Good luck! Judy

Jan
05-30-2005, 05:07 PM
I had that but I'm still on weekly herceptin and it's gone away most of the time.

*_tami_*
05-30-2005, 08:51 PM
I get loose stools for a few days after I get herceptin. Then I am back to normal until the next treatment. I get treatments every 3 weeks.

Best,
Tami