PDA

View Full Version : Acidic body a sickness magnet

Melody
05-27-2005, 01:55 PM
I've read several articles concerning the importance of the human body's PH balance; the bodies tendency of being either alkaline or acidic. Our blood PH should be more alkaline, which protects us from diseases, whereas an acidic PH helps disease to thrive and continue to grow stronger - even deadly. Cancer and other diseases can not survive in an alkaline healthy body. It's no wonder why so many herbs are helpful as they are an alkaline food. Even though other factors can deprive our cells of oxygen (such as toxic overload), which in turn increases the acid in our systems, it seems the biggest culprit is the food we eat.

It makes sense that if an acid PH decreases the body's ability to absorb nutrients and minerals, the energy production in our cells decreases and in turn it's ability to repair damaged cells. This deprives our cells of oxygen, and as I understand, scientist (to study cancer cells in their labs) grow cancer samples by depriving the cancer cells of oxygen.

I was a bit upset when my oncolgist told me that to this day they still do know what causes cancer. What?
What was he telling me? Smoking causes cancer, but they don't know what it is in a cigg that triggers the cancer? How it mutates the cells?
Am I being too simplistic to think that, "Well. Ciggs are acidic (they are you know and so is coffee/tea...), and they deprive the cells of oxygen.

When I think back prior to my HER2, my diet consisted of hardly any water. I drank coffee in the morning, iced-tea or soda in the afternoon and evening. I always ate all my meat/poultry/fish, but did not always finish all my veggies, and what fruit I bought usually went bad before I even ate it.
A for instance - dinner meal: Lobster, brown & white rice, corn on the cob, maybe a glass of wine, always iced-tea. Guess what? All the above are acidic foods. Even the corn! Lunch was a turkey sandwhich! Breakfast was oatmeal! It's all good food, but none of it's alkaline.

Anyway. I wanted to write this for those who are wanting to improve their diets as one way to fight cancer - or any disease. If you eat more alkaline foods than acidic foods, it will work to balance out your blood's PH. And it should not surprise you that a lot of the alkaline foods are also the 'cancer wonder' fighting foods. From what I've studied, our diet should be 75% alkaline foods, and 25% acidic foods.

Hope this helps someone. God Bless, Melody

*_Cathy_*
05-27-2005, 03:09 PM
God Bless You, Melody! I ate the same way you did.I drank iced tea three times a day. I ate barely any fruit whatsoever except bananas and pears. I ate lots of meat, pasta, pizza, cake. I never ate many veggies until after I was diagnosed five years ago with breast cancer. I also love those instant buttered popcorn bags. I also think there is something to this alkaline thing. When I looked up the alkaline foods though, I couldn't find much protein other than nuts- so I don't know how I will work this out. Also, I don't know if I should be taking any vitamins now since I'm on herceptin. I don't want the vitamins to work against the drugs.I ordered a book from that Kevin guy on tv that talks about this very thing. I guess I'll be getting it in a week or so.Oh, and my sister died of lung cancer when she was only 37. She drank lots of diet soda. Take care. thanks for the good info. Cathy

Melody
05-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Cathy,

I'm a big popcorn fan myself! Like you, I was concerned about getting my protein too. Almonds & Chestnuts are the best sources that are alkalizing, and so is Tofu (fermented - which I haven't tried yet), and Whey Protein Powder are alkalizing forms of protein. But, I haven't given up meat either, though I've switched to organic meats. The hard part is recreating my family meals. For instance: Instead of making my stuffed cabbage w/meat & rice, I leave out the rice, & add more alkaline foods such as garlic, tomatoes, onion & celery. I serve it w/carrots sweetened w/blackstrap molasses & honey, and a side of sliced tangerines & watermelon (whatever is in season) - all these foods except the meat is alkaline. If I have a starch dish, (acidic), I leave out the meat (also acidic) and serve that w/another veggie & fruit.

I've read our PH balance should be around 7.35 - 7.45 as neither too acidic or too alkaline is good for our bodies, but too acidic is worse. 7.0 is neutral, anything below that is acidic, above it is alkaline. We're like the plant kingdom!

I need to buy some PH testing strips. As I just joined yesterday, I didn't get to read all the posting, but today, scanning futher down, I noticed their are a few others who have dicussed this topic. Tuesday, I go in for a bone scan, and hope to talk to my onc further about this PH. Last time, he said that our system flushes acid out of our system, but medications ( I take Arimidex) can upset our PH balance. I've read that to maintain health, our diet should be 60% alk & 40% acidic, but to restore health it changes to 80% alk & 20% acid forming foods. Maybe drinking Whey Protein Powder (in that its alkaline) is a good way to reduce some of our meat protein (acidic)?

I've not heard of the guy you mentioned, but it sounds interesting. Please let me know what you think of the book. I hope it has some recipes in it!

I am sorry to hear about your sister. My sister drank a lot of Pepsi until her doctor told her to stop drinking it. She'd drink a 6 pack a day! I've switched to white tea....and water w/lime.

Have a great weekend & God Bless, Oops! I think I just replied to my own post!
Melody

*_Cathy_*
05-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Melody- This is very interesting to me. My doctor never mentioned ph to me or told me what mine was. I guess mine must be bad. I'm going to a new dr. on Friday. I hope I get the book soon. If it has recipes, I can fax you them or send them to you. I have a copy machine. One of the things that I think God is trying to teach me through all this is self- control and eating better.Thanks for your help. Onward and Upward! God Bless- Cathy

Melody
06-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Kathy,

Thanks for the offer, but I don't have a fax machine. I can always buy the book if you find it helpful. Did you talk to your doctor about it? My onc thought it funny (sort of) that I was asking him if I should be eating a healthy diet compared to a poor diet. His concern is for my calcium intake as Arimidex blocks the estrogen hormone, which is a factor in protecting the bones health and density, and so he has me taking a multi vitamin along with 2 calciums. He also gave me a couple of different sites to look at: www.hopkinsbreastcenter.org (great articles on food studies) and www.snyderhealth.com (a great site on alkaline/acidic systems), though he doesn't advocate the products they sale.
Take care & God Bless,
Melody