PDA

View Full Version : Working and Traveling while on Herceptin

Becky
05-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Has anyone out there taken Herceptin alone (without chemo) and worked or had a job where there is business (airplane) travel? I have a job like that and I know if I start the Herceptin I wanted to do it on Fridays so I could take short (maybe 2 night) trips for business (via airplane). Is this possible (especially after a few weeks when your body gets used to the Herceptin).

Also, if heart problems occur, when does that happen - right up front or over time?

Thank you in advance

Becky

kk1
05-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Becky;

I have not had any trouble traveling for work or to play hard while taking herceptin. On a few occasions I have taken herceptin in the morning and caught an airplane in the afternoon for a business trip. Last month I took my herceptin and caught a plane a few hours later to go skiing at 8,000ft. As to the heart issue, generally if you are going to have problems I think it shows up at the begining....although I am sure there are exceptions.

kk1

*_Denise_*
05-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi Becky,
I have been on Herceptin alone for 7 months, with no problem relating to work or anything else. I have not traveled on it, though.
The heart problems would most likely occur in the beginning, but I will continue to get Muga scans every 4 or 5 months or so, as long as I am on Herceptin. I am supposed to be on Herceptin forever.
Good luck,
Denise in PA

Sheila
05-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Becky
I am on Herceptin also and I can see no reason you could not travewl on it...as long as you can make it back for the treatment dates. My work also involves travel as an occupational nurse, but when I travel I am gone for at least a month at a time, to different areas of the country, and I am not about to find a new oncologist to treat me each time I am sent to a new state....my oncologist would not allow that. Also, when I am sent to a job, we work 72-80 hours a week, and that is also something my oncologist does not want me doing right now. I was awarded Social Security Disability until they feel I can return to work without problems.
Hugs
Sheila

Esther
05-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Becky, I've never had a problem adjusting to Herceptin, right from the very beginning.

I don't think it will be a problem for you to travel via airplane, even right after a herceptin infusion.

Good luck, sounds like you have a career you enjoy!