PDA

View Full Version : More on alkaline and acidic

Lyn
05-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi all, on your blood tests see if you can find out what your Alkaline Phospate Level is. I assume this is the what shows the A & A. Mine has always been high outside the normal range. I have always been concerned about this, but now I am wondering if this is a good thing and I should get it higher. Correct me if I am wrong.

LOve & Hugs Lyn

Lisa
05-24-2005, 09:28 PM
I don't know about acid/alkaline, but Alk Phos on the blood test refers to liver functions.

Love and light,

Lisa

Lyn
05-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Thanks Lisa, that was what I thought but my Doc said it could also be calcium in the blood, from either bone mets or growing in children, in my case we don't know why it is high, unless it is my connective tissue disorder which is the immune system. So how do we measure the alkaline/acid in our body?

Hugs Lyn

StephN
05-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi Lyn -
You asked how we measure the alkaline/acidity of our body.
Get a ph test kit and usually the strips just touch your tongue and will turn some color or other to indicate what the acid/alkaline levels are. This is a very simple test.
Maybe someone had another idea??

Catherine
05-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I was under the impression that a high alk phos reading COULD be an indicator of bone mets. ALT and AST were the indicators for liver mets. Am I right?

Kaye
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
It could mean either bone mets or liver mets. There is a way to do a differential or differentiated measure in which the % of each of two types of cells (think that is what they are) and it can give info as to where they (cells that are measured with alk level) may be able to tell if it is bone related or liver related (and/or not able to distinguish at this time).

Lyn
05-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Hi all, the elevated Alk Ph it has to mean something else as well because I don't have either and never have, touch wood and mine has been elevated for 16 years that I know of, way in the red, that is how long I have been having regular blood tests, that was why I was courious if anyone elses was elevated and no bone or liver involved.

Love & Hugs Lyn

05-26-2005, 04:22 AM
A raised level of alkaline phosphatase in the blood indicates that something may be wrong, although sometimes the rise is transient and the level returns to normal after one to three months without a clinical cause being found (Lieberman and Phillips, 1990). The wide range of clinical conditions associated with raised alkaline phosphatase include liver disease, heart problems, benign bone disease, treatable malignancy, sepsis, and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome - AIDS (Price and Sammons, 1976; Payne et al, 1991; Maldonado et al, 1998).

If the alkaline phosphatase level remains high then usually it is associated with clear clinical signs. Thus a reasonable approach in this situation is for the doctor to take a careful clinical history, make a physical examination, and carry out routine laboratory studies to reach a diagnosis, followed by another measurement of the alkaline phosphatase level after one to three months (Lieberman and Phillips, 1990).

Lyn
05-26-2005, 04:37 AM
Ooops! that was me the guest, pushed before I should have, anyway I like the treatable maligantincy bit, that is a positive for me knowing I am treatable, I know I don't have AIDS, liver or bone disease. I have a cyst in the kidney that has been there for ever, so as to high Alk Phosphate, it could mean anything.

Hug Lyn