PDA

View Full Version : change in chemo treatment

madubois63
05-23-2005, 08:45 PM
My onc wants to change my schedule. Instead of getting Herceptin every week and getting chemo three weeks out of the month, he wants to give me a triple dose of everything once every three weeks. The total medication will be the same, but just given all at once. I am not sure I am comfortable with this. I have had thinning of the hair, neuropathy, severe nausea/vomiting two days out of the week and a few other problems that I will not mention. I am afraid the triple dose will incapacitate me for several days beyond what I already go through...but I do get a three week vacation. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Maryann

Stage IV Inflammatory BC 1/00
MRM 24nod/5+ Her2+
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol Tamoxifen
Rads 32x
Stage IV Mets to lung/liver/nodes 10/04
video-assisted thoracoscopy (VATS) surgery w/pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carboplaten Femera Lupron
4/26/05 NED

Think Pink
05-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi there,

I have IBC and am Stage 4 as well. I've done all the chemo that you have plus some. I just thought I'd let you know that you are thinking correctly; stronger doses further apart mean stronger side effects for prolonged periods of time.

When I did the chemo that you are currently on along with my Herceptin, my oncologist main concern was providing me with the best quality of life while getting my treatment. Yes, they wanted to try to stop the cancer but at the same time they did not want to "knock me on my ass while doing so".

My situation may have been different from yours because I am also a student and I insist on staying in school. I would definately stick to the smaller doses more often, unless you are really looking forward to the days off.

God Bless, Martha

Esther
05-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Did your onc give you a reason why he wanted to change your schedule? I have tried chemo both ways, weekly and every 3 weeks, and have found the weekly schedule much easier to tolerate.

I would bring up with your onc and let him know how you feel about the proposed change.

Every 3 weeks would be more convenient in terms of your time, but the side effects might be exacerbated.

sherry
05-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi MaryAnn

Why did your onc decide to change it? I vote with Esther. I think increasing the dose and making it every 3 weeks will be harder to tolerate. I was on your regimen for a year and I remember clearly being told that it would be harder every 3 weeks. I had it weekly too.

Wishing you the best and hugs,
Sherry

Patty H
05-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Mary Ann
I was on taxotere and carbolpatin and herceptin on a weekly base. By doing it that way I didn't loose my hair again. Just some thinning and in the long run I actually got moore cheemo. If I had taken the taxotere on a 3 week basic I would have lost my hair again. Have you ask your Dr. why he wants you to change? Patty H

05-24-2005, 11:40 AM
MaryAnn --

I didn't understand this part of your message:
1-- you said as of 4/26/05 you are NED? Because of NED, did your doc. mean to take you off chemo & just go with the herceptin every 3 weeks?
2-- if you are continuing the taxotere & carbo. along with the herceptin even at NED I'm wondering why you aren't being given a break from chemo?
Anyway, if you are getting both the chemo & herceptin, could you try it every 2 weeks instead of 3 to see how it affects you, then go back to weekly if the side effects are too great?

I also have inflammatory bc with bone mets. I was on taxotere & herceptin for 6 months. I got the taxotere 3 weeks on & one week off & the herceptin weekly. Sometimes they would give me a 2 week dose of the herceptin so I wouldn't have to come in on my week off chemo. That was great.

madubois63
05-24-2005, 02:27 PM
"I didn't understand this part of your message:
1-- you said as of 4/26/05 you are NED? Because of NED, did your doc. mean to take you off chemo & just go with the herceptin every 3 weeks?
2-- if you are continuing the taxotere & carbo. along with the herceptin even at NED I'm wondering why you aren't being given a break from chemo?"

My onc does not want to under treat me. Because of the agressiveness of IBC, he wanted to continue chemo for three months. After blowing my mind with that news, I think he just wanted to give me a sort of break. I don't think it's much of a break though.

Thanks for all the replies. I really didn't think this was the way I was going to go. I will stick to whats working and what I am used to.

Lisa
05-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Is he changing to Abraxane, which is given in higher doses, but less frequently? It's delivery system differs from other taxanes and allows this change. From what I've heard, side effects are the same as with Taxotere, but can be a bit more harsh. Yet, those same side effect diminish quickly.

Love and light,

Lisa

*_madubois63_*
05-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Lisa - No change in meds just in the schedule (everything once every three weeks instead of chemo 3x per month/herceptin 4x per month) and how much (he will triple the dose).