PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with herceptin side effect?

Judy
05-23-2005, 08:24 AM
I am six weeks out of chemotherapy. I have had 2 herceptin doses, the last dose was given last Friday, May 20. I have been experiencing significant fatigue -- very weak arms, a foggy feeling in my head similar to having taken a narcotic. I experienced these feelings during the last half of my chemo treatments. I received AC ea. 3 weeks for 12 weeks and then taxol weekly for 12 weeks.

I have to say I have been very busy for the last week or so. My daughter had her first baby. I've been helping her quite a bit. We also had about 40 people at our home Saturday for a bris.

This specific type of fatigue, which is very familiar to me from chemo, may yet be a "leftover" from my chemo treatments. However, it seems strange to me that the fatigue should INCREASE at six weeks out.

I have not heard of any Herceptin side effects (other than heart issues which is not my case). Probably this is not from Herceptin, but I am curious if anyone else has had this experience?

Sorry for the rambling -- it's chemo brain.

Thanks so much

Judy

Fontaine
05-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Judy, while I'm hardly any kind of expert, my guess is that the stress you're under (even if it is of a positive nature), is exacerbating fairly normal effects of chemotherapy. Stress hormones can wreck havoc on a recovering body.

Because it wouldn't cause you any harm, I'd suggest that (in addition to letting your oncologist know), you make a point of focusing on yourself for a while. Any kind of relaxation activity such as message, visualization, meditation or a stroll through an especially pleasant environment (a woods, garden, whatever kind you most enjoy) would probably be very useful for you right now.

Hope you feel better soon!

StephN
05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Would be surprised if Herceptin is the cause of the fatigue.
Well, it sounds to me like you have overexerted yourself, and it would normally take one's body more than 6 weeks to recover from intense chemo. Your red and white counts are probably still not up to normal on their own and this is a big factor to regaining stamina after chemo. As well as general weakness to your nerves and tissues caused by the chemos.

I agree - try to give yourself a break and get some extra sleep and some "down" time from trying to keep up as you did prior to diagnosis. Wish there was a magic wand to wave, but supplements can and do help the process along. Good nutrition and lots of liquids will also help the tissues regenerate.

Try to "baby" yourself a little and see if you don't feel better in a couple of weeks.

Denise99
05-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi Judy,
I was on Gemzar and Herceptin for 9 months for liver mets. My liver is currently NED-yahoo! My last Gemzar treatment was the beginning of November 2004. I have been on Herceptin alone since then-6 months, and my only problem is tiredness. It isn't extreme, and I actually feel better when I exercise.
I have never heard of anyone who has the problems that you do with Herceptin, so perhaps if you give it some time, and eat healthily, the problems will dissipate.
Good luck!
Denise in PA

Judy
05-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am trying to force myself to slow down, but I do want my life back.

Judy

Lisa
05-24-2005, 09:41 PM
I had significant Herceptin side effects at first, but they were more along the toxic shock line. Have you thought about the possibilities of premeds they give you with the Herceptin being the cause?

I believe the body "holds" on to the strength it needs at the time, then later "gives in." It could very well be that the chemo in your system built up to a point that you're just now reacting. But, why guess? Do check with your onc.

And a BIG congratulations on the baby!!

Love and light,

Lisa