PDA

View Full Version : HER2

cat
05-19-2005, 09:42 PM
March 2005, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and was told I was HER2 neu positive. Apparently, my 12/04 mammogram was misread. By March, the lump was 4-5 cms. I began with weekly treatments of Herceptin (no side effects) and 3 weeks later the tumor shrunk 35% and Carboplatin every 21 days. Since I had an adverse reaction to Taxol, I am now on a lowered weekly infusion of Taxotere. Now instead of a mastectomy, the doctors are talking lumpectomy maybe in June or July 2005. Question: will Herceptin prevent a reoccurrence of a tumor?

jessica
05-20-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm so sorry about your dx...especially when it appears that they should have caught this back in Decmber. How frustrating!!
So great that you've had such a response to your neoadjuvant treatment. Even better that your'e a candidate for a lumpectomy now. Just wondering, are you on Taxo Herceptin together? The two are so synergistic, it seems you might get even more mileage if your combine the two vs. sequential treatment. Maybe explore this option with your onc, if you haven't already.
Herceptin is an amazing drug & the very reason many of us are thriving in the face of such a serious diagnosis. Unfortunately, there is nothing, scientifically confirmed, that will prevent a recurrence, not even Herceptin. There's some new data that shows really wonderful long term response & I think very soon, we'll all be getting even better news for treatment options for us!
Prayers Faith & Courage!