PDA

View Full Version : Latisimus flap mastectomy

michele u
05-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I don't know if the spelling is correct, but a friend's mom has to have this because her breast is actually dying off because they gave her too much radiation! She wants to talk with someone who has had this procedure. She can't have the tram flap because she had a c-section. The Latisimus is your back muscle. Please give me your phone number if you've had this and i will give it to my friend. Thanks in advance

SusanAnne
05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Michele,

Please tell your friend to have her mom get another opinion. There must be another reason why she can't have the TRAM because I had a c-section and other abdominal surgery and still had a TRAM flap. There are other options out there too like the GAP (from the butt) so she shouldn't just accept this if she feels it's not what she wants (if the surgeon she went to doesn't perform GAPs or DIEPs he wouldn't have informed her about them, she needs to seek out a plastic guy who does them). I believe with the latisimus flap you most likely need an implant as well. I hope she is not so much under the gun that she can't properly research her options. I wish her luck.

Susan

*_Vicki Z_*
05-18-2005, 09:33 AM
I had a lat flap with my skin-sparing mastectomy and I look beautiful. The half of a line on my back is right at the bra line and can't be seen. The lat muscle sits on top of the saline implant to give a very natural look. I couldn't have the tram flap because I'm small, but I wouldn't have wanted one of those anyway and I'm completely satisfied. Good luck to you. My nipple comes next and there are many ways to go there, too.

*_Vicki Z_*
05-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Vicki,
could i get your phone number to give this lady to talk about the lat flap surgery? Thanks Michele