PDA

View Full Version : Biopsy following radiation

Lyn
05-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi, I have just gotten over the worst of my radiaiton burn to my remaining breast, now I will need a biopsy done on the same area as before but I have no idea how long before that area has properly healed, I have fair skin so it will still be redddddd for a loooong time. I am having a MRI done on my head neck and shoulder because my shoulder has gone numb from the radiaiton and taxol..My onc has already asked what treatment I want next, it would have been nice to see if there was anything to treat but with my track record I told him Gemzar with the Herceptin, anyone having carboplatin with their's? Looks like I will have to get a CT for the chest as well.

Love & hugs Lyn

Velva
05-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Lyn, I had skin bx after post-radiation of a year & it healed just fine (Had gotten burn't also). Most docs fear non-healing of a radiated area, so are
hesitant to bx.
I just stopped Gemzar/Carboplatin, (still on Herceptin), worked great ,but my RBC's & Platelets kept dropping and had to be transfused. I took Neupogen for WBC's, also was on Aransp injection every 2wks for RBC's.
I have a breast CA 1.5 cm lump in my R neck that is superficial, surgery planned for next Tuesday. Trying to avoid radiation burns...we'll see how it goes. Keep us informed of your progress. Hugs, Velva

Lyn
05-19-2005, 03:32 AM
Thanks Velva, how often did you have the Herceptin/Gemzar/Carboplatin? Have you been on Aromasin? I had that while waiting for radiation for lumps in the neck and they disappeared before my appointment so didn't need the rads. My onc never suggests surgery for my lumps, I think he is also scared the skin won't heal. All my combos only seem to work the once, and I have to move onto something else because when I was still on the aromasin I had more lumps but when biopsied they said they were similar but not the same as the original. I am begining to think that the side being treated now is the primary and the surgery in the beginning was the secondary, sounds strange but it took a MRI to detect the lump that could be seen and felt and it slowly got bigger and bigger on this side after it had worked its way back around my neck to where it is now. I have a very numb thick neck so MRI next week will tell all I hope. My onc didn't dispute my theory either, so hopefully this is the primary and I can get rid of it from the source. I shall keep you informed, I am also going to have a CT next week of the chest.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Velva
05-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Lyn, I took Carboplatin 1x every 3wks, (nurse accidently gave it to me 2wks in a row 1st cycle), Gemzar 2wks on 1wk off, Herceptin wkly. I had trouble with my platelets after double Carboplatin and tx had to be delayed, then reduced, then stopped. My skin mets & tumor marker seem to be normal now, but the lump on my neck didn't respond. My onc mentioned radiation, but also referred me to an ENT doc that does alot of cancer surgeries. I prefer the surgery vs. radiation since it's a single lump & is superficial.
I took Aromison about 8 months ago for a short time, didn't seem to work. I am ER+/PR+, so will probably try it or another Aromatase inhibiter again.
Velva