PDA

View Full Version : Another "Newbie"

Soccermom1955
05-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Hello all,
Great forums here!

I need some help desciphering my path report...had hercep Test 3+/strongly positive then I insisted on FISH test,here are the results.
"Sixty tumor nuclei were counted and showed an average of 10+ copies of LSI Her-2/neu gene per nucleus and an average of 2.6 copies of CEP17 per nucleus"
The tumour cells demonstrated amplification of the Her-2/neu gene copy levels (Her-2/neu: CEP17signal ratio 3.85"

Please explain what this all means? I am an outreach coordinator for a nationa breast and aovarian org. called FORCE (facing our risk of cancer empowered) www.facingourrisk.org. I have spent 5 years researching BRCA 1 and 2 but have NO knowledge regarding Her-2 neu! Am negative for BRCA 1 +2 and have been with FORCE for 5 years, was diagnosed Dec 2004.

Did dose dense AC/Taxol (last two coming up) am stage IIB T2N1

Can Herceptin be administered with a port or central line? I REALLY want to get rid if this thing in JUne?

Thank you sooooo much for your help in advance. I must make some serious decisions soon. My onc wanted to wait until ASCO to make her recommendations.
Marcia

Mississippi - Louisiana Outreach Coordinator
FORCE
Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered
(www.facingourrisk.org)

Soccermom1955
05-15-2005, 09:22 AM
I meant ..."can Hereceptin be administered WITHOUT a port or central line?
Thanks

05-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Marcia

Being herceptin strongly 3+++ is a good indication that this drug will work for you without any problem of the many side effects as was the A/C more toxic chemo you've experienced. It will not need a port to administer since it is a patient friendly targeted drug that stops the duplication of the HER2 cancer cells. Initially you will have a MUGA or ECHO cardiogram as is recommended. There's no reason to be concerned unless you've had heart problems in your past .
Herceptin is being used as adjuvant tx's and will be soon easily given for earlier stages. As a result of Clinical trials it has been determimined herceptin may help to prevent recurrent disease.

Ovarian Cancer at this point has a protocol of its own that does not include herceptin.
Genetuc counseling should be persued to determine family risks.
Hugs and well wishes
Cristine

Soccermom1955
05-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for your response Christine!
I tested BRCA negative . This with my mom (end stage) and 4 of her sisters,2 cousins having had BC. I have had genetic testing and counseling.
I am just at a loss regarding the verbage of Her2. My heart ejection fraction was 64 prior to AC.

Marcia

*_tami_*
05-15-2005, 12:43 PM
I was diagnosed at age 44, 5/04 - 1.4 cm tumor, micro met to sentinal node, additional nodes negative, her 2 +++, er/pr-. Had lumpectomy and ancilllary disection followed by 4 AC every 3 weeks then started herceptin weekly for ten weeks along with 4 taxotere every 3weeks. After the 10th week of herceptin, I have been getting herceptin every 3 weeks. I will get hereptin for a total of one year. WIth the recent findings I am extremely grateful to the women of this website for giving me the information and encouragement I needed to push my onc. last May to get herceptin. My muga was in mid 60s prior to AC then dropped to mid 50's after AC and have not gone lower since adding herceptin to the mix. I get mugas every 3 months as a precaution. I have had very little physical reaction to the herceptin - just the minor inconvenience of the infusion every 3 weeks. I have a port but only because I have little veins. I know several women that have received chemo and herceptin without a port and without issue.

Once again I am profoundly grateful to the women on this website that so freely share their experience, knowledge, strength and humor. Thank you thank you!

LANI
05-15-2005, 04:39 PM
AN ARTICLE BY MARCUS SCHMIDT FROM MAINZ GERMANY STUDIED THE CORRELATION BETWEEN DIFFERENT WAYS OF MEASURING HER2NEU AND THE CORRESPONDING PATIENTS' PROGNOSIS WITHOUT TREATMENT. IN THAT ARTICLE FISH MEASUREMENTS OF 5-6 were moderately high and those 7 and above were considered very high.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Lani

Rozebud
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Welcome Marcia! I've been on FORCE quite a bit lately - just had bilateral SGAP with Dr S/D in NOLA.

I wish I could help more with the pathology, but I have no idea what that means. None of those numbers look like the FISH score. My IHC was 2.7 and FISH was 7.6 (or something like that). I would ask your onc. for your actual score....I think it can go as high as 10, or maybe higher.

And yes, you can get herceptin through an IV. I just got my port out after 15 months even though not totally done with treatment and it's SO much better.

Rose

Soccermom1955
05-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi Rozebud, I KNEW I recognized that moniker! Thanks for the warm welcome !
Looks like I have my work cut out for me...this Her-neu stuff is daunting.
I am still on the fence regarding whether or not to "save" herceptin treatment in case of a recurrence.
Thanks again! Marcia

Rozebud
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your warm welcome too Marcia!

Please do seriously consider herceptin. I think the closer you can add it to your adjuvent therapy (or even concurrently), the better. It is not like a normal "chemo", meaning as long as your heart function is doing ok, you can stay on it indefinately. So there is no need to save it for mets...it is an immuntherapy.

The decrease in recurrance and increase in survival rates in early stage bc because of herceptin is the biggest news in bc research in 20 years. Please read some of the posts on the boards, and you'll see what I mean.

And yes...you can get it without a port. I'm getting my last one through an IV this week. Feels GREAT to have that port out. Take care - Rose