PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine results long term?

Esther
05-12-2005, 11:32 AM
I've been following the vaccine trials with interest, because I am both Her2+++, as well as testing positing for the A2 allele.

One thing I'm not clear about--Is the immune response that happens to a "responder" in the vaccine trials, similar to the response a patient has with herceptin?

What I mean is that will the vaccines ultimately need to be part of a treatment plan, being administered once a month indefinitely, the same as Herceptin, in order to maintain the response?

And if that is the fact, then is the ultimate benefit of being in the vaccine trials a temporary response to the treatment, that fades away once you no longer get the vaccine?

al from canada
05-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Esther,
Immune response does fade over time but I know that the folks at Washington U. are CONSIDERING booster shots for the candidates in the trial, once the trial is over.
Take care,
Al

Brian
05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Dear Esther,

My wife has received the 6 vaccine treatments at U of W. Dr. Disis indicates that the six vaccine treatments should be enought to initiate a long term immune response to the her2 receptor on the breast cancer cells.
In reviewing the results on patients from their 1996 studies the surviving patients are still producing an immune response. They simply do not know how long an immune response will last, however they are planning to do booster shots for those in the latest group. There are no specific plans on how or when these will be administered.
I discussed with Dr. Disis the long term prospects for their vaccine and she told me that it might take from 5 to 7 years to evaluate the studies they are doing now. Should these indicate that the vaccine has a life prolonging effect, then they plan to have a Stage III Trial where they would enroll a large number of women. The ultimate plan is to make the vaccine part of the treatment for women with her2 positive cancers. In the initial stages a patient would take the normal chemotherapy, radiation, surgery regimens along with adjuvent herceptin. Upon reaching NED the vaccine would be administered in conjunction with weekly herceptin to prevent recurrence.

Brian

05-14-2005, 06:37 AM
does anyone know of a vaccine trial closer to the east coast? i live in massachusetts. lorri

imported_Joe
05-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Lori,

There is one currently recruiting at Dana Farber

Dana Farber Vaccine Trial (http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00071942?order=1)

Warmest Regards
Joe

mamacze
05-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Dear Lori,
I live in CT and was rejected from the Dana Farber study because I was on Herceptin...I decided to bite the bullet and go to Seattle because they accepted women who are on Herceptin....don't be afraid to travel for the vaccine...you can get some good deals on air fares now...
Love and Hugs,
Kim from CT

lorri
05-16-2005, 05:53 AM
Thanks to replies on East Coast vaccine trials. I can't imagine coming off herceptin at this point so I will set my sights on Seattle and treat it as mini vacations. I will travel the earth and back a million times if I have to! Thanks again, lorri

eric
05-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Lorri,

Windber (part of Walter Reed) in PA also has one to offer depending on your stage and situation. I believe they have one currently running without herceptin and expect to recieve FDA approval for one including herceptin in June or July. I have the contact info at home if you are interested. Just let me know and I will gladly post it.

Eric

lorri
05-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Eric Thanks for your response concerning the vaccine trial in Windber. I checked that trial out but not eligble because I'm still on herceptin/navelbine for liver mets. I was not aware of an upcoming trial with the use of herceptin at Windber. I will check that out though. Plan is to check another scan about July so the timing might be perfect. Again the support from this group is AMAZING! lorri