PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin enquiry

prasadgvs
05-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi Everybody:-
I have just returned from INDIA where my mom is getting terated for BC.
She is HER2 3+ and ER/PR -ve. Stage-2 and 2 nodes positive.She has finished 3 rounds of AC chemo ( Epirubicin) and has one round left. After that she will be on 4 more rounds of Chemo with taxanes ( I think the drug name is taxol but not sure)
The Onc treating my mom said the chances of recurrences are high(50-60%) and said Herceptin has shown promising results in Clinical trials.But he said he will only put her on herceptin on recurrence ( if I am correct) .

I am reading lots of reports saying Chemo with Herceptin reduces recurrence by almost 50%.

since this drug is very costly in India I will appreciate if any of you are in the same situation and what onc's here are saying about herceptin.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lisa
05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Sounds like your Mom is doing good. I certainly hope so. Many, many of us have been through Adriamycin/Cytoxin/Taxol. Some ended up with recurrences, others not.

Trials for women with early stage BC (no recurrence yet) have just been halted. Women who were given Herceptin and chemo showed a much greater chance of not having recurrences than those given chemo only.
While it's not a guarantee, it's great news for women like your Mom who know they are Her2+++, and want to do all they can to stay healthy.

Read some of the posts below.

Is there some type of insurance she could get to help with the costs?

Love and light,

Lisa

*_anne_*
05-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I would contact Genentech. They have some reimbursement program. I don't know if it's valid only in the US. The other option is to look around some countries may give you a better deal. I have heard of some people going to Asia
to get it. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you get the Herceptin. I think everyone who is healthy should have aggressive treatments so you never think "What if...?"

Take care and good luck,
Chetana

Christine
05-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Prasadgys
I'm happy to see you are doing your research on herceptin. As I write to you, there is a BC conference {ASCO} that has news concerning the value of adjuvant Herceptin chemotherapy to benefit the possibility of recurrence.
In the recent past we were only offered Herceptin for Stage 4 women, but many have insisted to have Herceptin in early stages here and some doctors have consented being so encouaged by the drugs success. So if possible keep up your research on Herceptin and inform your Oncilogist of your findings.
Perhaps he too will join the new found benefit and will change his thinking. Taxol w/ Herceptin is an excellent chemo and helped many in stage 4 and also earlier stages . The results of the clinical trial are being released now and you can find it on our website soon.
My sincere best to your mom.
Hugs, Christine