PDA

View Full Version : taxotere/ fluid retention

linda sears
02-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I have been using weekly Taxotere/Herceptin treatments since late September. It's done wonders for the cancer--especially my skin mets--but has left me breathless, because of fluid buildup in my lungs. My doctor first increased steroids (Decadron) from one day, to three. That helped somewhat. But by January my blood pressure and pulse zoomed up, so he then gave me Lasix a duiretic, to see if it would help. It did, a little bit, but the congestion and fluid build-up continued. Finally, this week, he had one of my lungs drained and nearly a quart of fluid was taken out and apparently the other lung has as much. That helped considerably, but I am reluctant to continue on with the Taxotere treatments if it means that I need to continue with drainage procedures and lots of other duiretics. I thought switching to Abraxane (available next week) made better sense. Anyway, my Doc called today and suggested a lower dose of the Taxotere. I've been off treatment for two weeks and really need to come up with a good plan soon. Has anyone else had their fluid build-up resolved and continued on with the Taxotere? Also, I've heard that they don't recommend Abraxane with Herceptin yet since all the clinical trial data has not come in showing how the two combine. I'd appreciate hearing fom those who may have gone down this path. Linda in Ithaca

Christine
02-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Linda
I had a similar problem on herc/taxol on for 17 consecutive wks, and had swelling in my leg,esp. the left. Lasix seemed to help . I also had progression of fluid in my lungs that totally fizzed away after getting my first herc/taxol infusion. I was all ready to have the i ltr of fluid drained when I was saved by that combo in 3-4 days. You can get a 2nd opinion if you need it, but your Onc should have more combos that work with herceptin. There is a new drug coming off trial he might be able to get called Lapatinib;you could ask him to look into it .

Hugs Christine