PDA

View Full Version : Chest x-ray vs MRI of Chest

Kristen
02-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Does a MRI pick up more that a chest x-ray? someone told me to make sure when I had my chest to have contrast with it. Hers was missed. I have had both and the dr. suggested an MRI, just wondering. Thank you k

Lyn
02-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Hi Kristen, personally after experiencing what I have been through I would definately have the MRI's if possible. Had X-Rays on shoulder and arm for 2 months then a bone scan 3rd month suspected bone mets, MRI revealed I had fractured my shoulder and all the pain was because the bone was dieing from no blood supply,now I have a collapsed humeral head, next chest X-Ray said slivers on film suggest lung mets, turned out it was 5kg of fluid, my heart was pumping backwards and I was in heart failure, then after 12 months of trying to find answers to lump in neck, first thyroid enlarged masked positive lymph gland deep in neck, not even the lump I was looking for, it was treated, so many CT, ultra sound, X-Ray over a period of 12 months going around in circles demanded a MRI, and guess what the lump I could see and feel was positive so I then had 6 months of chemo weekly Herceptin/Taxol/Carbo can still see and feel lump but MRI revealed brain clear, nothing on left side of neck and right side just suspect radiation damage and no sign of mets, but now I have another problem with my remaining breast, had mammo and ultra- sound which was indecisive so had punch biopsy and will get results on Friday and if still inconclusive I will be having a section biopsy.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Kristen
02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Lynn,
I have kept up with your situation and it just stinks. I am sorry you had to go through all that. How are things going for you now? I am kinda like you, the stuff comes back normal, but no one can explain the pain. I will persue the MRI, it's not bone mets and there is no rash, so no skin mets and through examination of the mast.site, they feel nothing I just don't know what they would be looking for? What could it be? How do they detect a local reoccurance? Sometimes I think it's my port, but they just used it and it gets flushed monthly. Maybe it is something I just have to learn to live with. I feel like I am caught in a 20/20 type situation. You want to be vigilant, you know when something isn't right, but they do the tests and it comes back normal and I feel like I am the little chicken who screamed the sky is falling, does that make sense? After all the surgery and chemo, what is it supposed to feel like? I know things are different, but how so and if someone could just give me an explanation I think I would feel better.

The surgeon thought radiation or bone, radiologist said maybe a nerve cut during the surgery. The surgeon says, it doesn't sound like it and maybe it is just nerves regenerating. Who knows, this is the hardest part for me. Trying to get comfortable in life after chemo. Instead of what is life all about, I think what is this all about, how is life supposed to be now. I guess it all comes in time. Thanks for replying and take care of yourself. K