PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had vaccines at Univ Wash?

michele u
01-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I would love to hear your stories about the vaccine. How long you had to stay? Where did you stay when you were there? Im looking into Angel Network to fly me there. They think they will be able to do it. How long as it been since you got the vaccine? Thanks Michele

StephN
01-28-2005, 01:03 AM
Michele -
Which study are you qualifying for? Did you test HLA-A2? Maybe I missed something.
I live in Seattle and would be glad to assist any way I can.

e-mail: ambergrad@aol.com

Lolly
01-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Michele, if you go to the clinical trials message board, you'll find some postings by a few of the vaccine trial people, mine is there too and it tells about my first appt, just 2 weeks ago. I'm in the Phase I-II peptide-based vaccine trial. We stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn, which is very close to U.W. and was very nice, and convenient. They gave us a discount for being a patient at U.W., with tax the room was appx. $114.00. There are less expensive hotels, but they're further from the university. Here's a link to UW Medical Center Patient Family Housing Guide, which contains a contact number for the American Cancer Society's help line...They supplement room fees for cancer patients in some cases. Hope this helps!

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Facilities/UWMed...ousingguide.htm (http://www.uwmedicine.org/Facilities/UWMedicalCenter/ClinicsAndServices/patientfamilyhousingguide.htm)

Love,
Lolly

MarianneWA
01-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Michele - I was in the trial for a her2 vaccine at UW. This was the GlaxoSmithKline trial, just adminsitered by UW (Dr. Disis, Dr Salazar and Andrea York).

I had to be her2+, 1 or more +ve nodes, never to have had Herceptin, no metastasis.

I live in Vancouver, WA and took Amtrak (about a 3 hour ride). I stayed at the Best Western University Tower, and would walk about 5 blocks to the UWMC van pick-up site for the free 5 minute ride to the hospital. I love the hotel, and the hospital rate was $89. If it wasn't crowded they upgraded me to a higher floor - great views.

I had 5 vaccines (supposed to be 6 but one got "defrosted" in transport!) Along with other check-up/blood draws/muga scans, I made about 10 visits over the course of 10 months. I had no side effects other than itchy, bit sore thigh (injection site). I really enjoyed getting to know Seattle, and now my twin sons are freshmen at UW and when we visit we stay at the Best Western - I now know the staff quite well! I began the trial in Jan. 2004, and finished in October.

Hope this helps,
Marianne

*_Julie_*
01-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi Marianne,

For DNA vaccine trial for stage3 people, is prior usage of herceptin not allowed? I heard that menopause is a requirement but I didn't know about this.

thanks

MarianneWA
01-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Julie - I'm not sure about this. My vaccine trial wasn't a DNA one, and I think the GSK trial I was in is about the only one that stipulates No prior Herceptin.

Hope this helps
Marianne