PDA

View Full Version : Rising CEA, normal CT

*_lee_*
01-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi to everyone. This is my first post, although I've been reading this website often. You are all so inspirational. I actually have a question about my mother.
My mom, Sharon, was diagnosed with Stage 1 BC in July 2001. The lump was less than 1 cm. It was the best case scenario, no nodes involved, etc. She had a lumpectomy followed by radiation. Nevertheless, in July 2002, it metastasized all over her liver. It was quite a shock and so unexpected, of course. She is her2 positive, so she started Herceptin plus taxotere. She was only able to take 3 rounds of taxotere because she then developed grade IV toxicity and was hospitalized for 2 weeks because of it. Then after about a month, she started Navelbine and Herceptin. The tumors all disappeared! It was amazing. Since April 2003, she's been taking Herceptin every three weeks as maintenance. She has a CT scan every three months and bloodwork every 6 weeks.
Here's my question. Since September of 2004, her CEA has been rising- 1.9, 2.9, 3.9, 5.6 and now 8.2. The lab's range says normal is up to 4. Her CT in Sept. was clean and she had a CT on Dec. 2nd, which was also clean. Her CA 27-29 has always been between 15 and 20. Last time it was 24.3. Still within normal. I don't know if that rise is significant? Three weeks ago, her doctor told her not to worry right now and wait and see--"it's too early". She's supposed to have a CT again in March. I feel so uneasy just waiting. Has anyone had something similar happen with their numbers? What was done? Is the CT what really matters? Could it be something other then breast cancer?
Thanks for any input.

StephN
01-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Dear Lee -

Your mother's case is nearly EXACTLY mimicking mine!
I had Gamma Knife radiosurgery lst Tuesday for 2 tumors that arose from my liver mets from 3 years ago.

SHE MUST HAVE A BRAIN MRI IMMEDIATLY!
(Don't mean to shout - but it is for emphasis ...)

My CEA began to rise late this summer, and we went looking in Dec when it went up to 6. (My lab sheets say the <5 is normal range for CEA.)
And, thank the good Lord above that your Mom is having her CEA checked.

Here is a link to my first post about my experience in the past 3 weeks:

http://www.her2support.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20320

You will fiind updates along the way under my posting name "StephN" that take you through my entire consultation and procedure.

Please, take this CEA problem very seriously. My med onc said that with my CA27-29 rock steady, it is obvious that the 2 new tumors were making CEA and it just took some time for it to be picked up in my blood. I also know of others where rising CEA signaled brain mets and that is why doc had that marker added over a year ago after another clean screening MRI.