PDA

View Full Version : Curcumin alias tumeric

al from canada
01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
There has been much discussion about curcumin on the board lately. I know that many of us, including my wife, are supplementing with this highly active compound. I have done futher research and ran across some contra-indications, this is taken from a publication by Life Extention Foundation:

There is still not a scientific consensus on how those with active cancer may best take advantage of the multiple potential benefits of curcumin. Most cancer patients have been taking 1800 to 3600 mg a day of curcumin. Life Extension has recommended that curcumin not be combined with the chemotherapy drug Camptosar (irinotecan) because of one animal study that indicated a possible adverse effect. Since curcumin has not been adequately tested with other chemotherapy drugs, it might be safe to wait until chemotherapy is completed before initiating curcumin. Cancer patients using curcumin may want to avoid high doses of "thiol" nutrients such as cysteine, lipoic acid, SAMe and glutathione because these nutrients might interfere with curcumin's PKC inhibiting effects in actively growing cancer. Since thiol compounds are critically important anti-aging nutrients, cancer patients may consider avoiding or reducing thiol nutrients for a three to six month period while consuming high doses of curcumin (along with soy, green tea extracts, I3C and other nutrients that have shown specific anti-cancer effects).

Futher information can be found here:

http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/MsmGo.ex...iword=curcumin+ (http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=75&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFind%2Ecfg&host_id=42&page_id=15728896&query=curcumin&hiword=curcumin+)

All the best,
Al

StephN
01-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Al -
I had posted lower down about finding a version of Turmeric in a natural gel capsule.
But had not started it as I only bought it the day before my brain MRI came back positive.
Think I will hold off until after my 3-month MRI and have a good indication that the larger tumor was indeed "put down."

It is a strange thing to be NOT NED now - but feel so otherwise good and not have to take chemo. But - this I have to keep in my mind - NOT now NED.

al
01-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Steph,
How about "soon to be NED"
Al