PDA

View Full Version : HER2 Status? More common with ER/PR positive tumo

Kathy
01-15-2005, 10:38 AM
I understand that ER/PR receptor positive tumor are more likely to exhibit the HER2 factor? Does anyone know if that is true?

Thanks

Rozebud
01-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't believe that's true. I'll try to find the research. My onc said they're usually inversely related, which means if you're her2, you're more likely to be hormone negative, and vice versa. Hormone positivity is correlated with age (in your 30s, only about 30% are ER/PR+, vs. in your 70s it's like 80%) but I don't think that relationship exists with her2. Which would lead me to believe there is no correlation :) ! We should do a survey.

*_anne_*
01-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi Kathy,

In fact my mom's surgeon said the opposite is true because her2 is a quicker growing tumor the chances of it retaining the estrogen receptors are less. I don't know for sure but it this makes more sense to me. I think more ladies on this board are er-, don't know for sure, we would have to do a poll.
Hugs,
Anne

*_Christine_*
01-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Kathy
I can't support that statement , since most of our groug is ER/PR-
Most tend on being negative as HER2+ is a more agressive but a treatable DX. Hormone inhibitors along w/herceptin can be given for ER+ patients. There is no reason to think one dx is worse than the other. Both + or- . The key is to get the proper drugs to help your particular problemwith the help of Herceptin.
Hugs,, Christine

Ron, Cyndi's Husband
01-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Kathy,

I recently read an article concerning women who were diagnosed with primary breast tumors ER/PR positive, HER2 negative. When metastasis occurs, many of these metastatic tumors are HER2 positive. In the past, these tumors would have been assumed to be ER/PR positive, HER2 negative. Which means, that the treatment plans may not have been addressed toward HER2 tumors. Many times, the tumors are not readily accessible for biopsy and the HER2 status would remain unknown. I think Bayer (like the aspirin) is developing a test to determine through blood samples the HER2 status.

God Bless You,
ron

susie
01-17-2005, 10:28 PM
I am strongly er and pr+ and H2neu+ also. I guess that means I should respond to hormones and herceptin if my ovaries would just quit (at age 51). I am thinking of having them removed soon so I can use more hormones with success.

al from canada
01-18-2005, 07:17 AM
It is now widely accepted that HER2 status can change from (-) to (+) when the primary tumor goes to mets. That being said, I agree many women are being under-treated by not getting herceptin. Is there another way of making this determination other than surgery? Maybe CELL SEARCH? Would doctors give the herceptin anyway?
Al