PDA

View Full Version : Info on Abraxane?

Penny
01-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Mom's cancer is still hanging on and onc. thinks she should call it quits. She don't think the can take any more chemo, but what about Abraxane? Did I read the info correctly that it has less side effects than Taxol? If so, why wouldn't onc. want to try this new drug? We're out of choices! Can anyone shed some light on this new drug? Thanks! Penny

Lisa
01-13-2005, 09:38 PM
I spoke with my onc today. It is being used in leiu of Taxol for women Her2 pos. It still has side effects, but they react differently than with Taxol. The trial was with women who had not had Taxol, I think. So there's no waying of knowing whether it will be effective with women who HAVE taken Taxol. But if I were you, I'd certainly ask about it.

Love and light,

Lisa

*_Ron, Cyndi's Husband_*
01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Penny,

Most of the “GUESSES” I have seen say Abraxane should be available at Cancer Centers within forty-five days of launch. Launch was January 7, 2005. I suspect the Oncologist could speed this up by contacting the American Pharmaceutical Partners drug rep. for your area. Some helpful links and numbers for APP, Abraxis Oncology:
APP Drugs (http://www.appdrugs.com/ContactUs.htm)

Corporate Office:
1501 East Woodfield Drive,
Suite 300 East
Schaumburg, IL 60173-5837
Main Phone 847/969-2700
Toll Free 888/391-6300

West Coast Office:
11777 San Vicente Blvd.,
Suite 550
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Phone 310/826-8505

Naturally, none or at least very few, have actual experience with Abraxane, but it is certainly worth a phone call or two. Abraxane does have side effects but according to the studies, receiving one and one half the actual medication (Taxane) has no more negative sides than Taxol normal dose. Most of the sides are referred as well tolerated and that certainly beats just giving up….. Unless that is what your Mom has decided, that should always be the patient’s decision in my opinion. I hope this helps in some small way.

God Bless You All,
ron

Lyn
01-15-2005, 02:24 AM
Did your mum have carboplatinum or cisplatin with her Taxol? or has she had navelbine there are so many combinations and if your mum is determined to beat this and he won't help then move onto another onc. There are so many oncs out there that aren't up to date with us HER2 ladies and they don't look outside the square.

Love & Hugs Lyn

jessica
01-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi. Abraxane is not approved yet for standard care...I'm guessing that's why your mom's doc hasn't suggested it. However, it is available for Compassionate Use-it's a program that allows some pts. access to drugs that are not yet approved by the FDA. You'll have to apply for it, with the onc's help. I would suggest that you ask the onc if your mom is a candidate & go from there.
Hope this is helpful. Wishing you luck!

Penny
01-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Lyn- I know she had Taxol with Herceptin when it first came back in 2000. Then she had navelbine. I don't know if she had carboplatinum or cisplatin. I don't remember hearing them. She tried Xeloda and had an allergic reaction where she couldn't breath so that's out. You know it's funny because her onc. thinks she's pretty much out of choices and her radiology onc. thinks she still has a shot at some more treatment. He don't think she should quit yet.

Jessica - Thanks for the tip on the Compassionate Use Program. She has an appointment on Mon. so I'll bring it up to her onc.

Penny