PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for lung and liver mets

Penny
01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Mom's been fighting this terrible disease since 1981. Found lung and liver mets in 2000. Miracle she's still here but she's not ready to give up. Dr. says treatments of herceptin are taking their toll and she can't take much more. She's losing weight and says she feels so full when she does eat. When she's not eating shes nauseated. Any advice?

jessica
01-10-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry that your mom is having a tough time. I'm sure it's comforting to have you to look after her.
Have you looked into RFA (RadioFrequencyAblation)?It's a procedure that uses radiowaves to ablate solid tumors (like metastatic breast to the lungs & liver). I don't knowwhat your mothers situation is, but even in the event of a high tumor load/volume, RFA can be used to zap away the bulk of the tumor(s), called Cytoreduction.That way there's less for the chemo to have to do.
I have a lesion in my liver that was discovered after being NED for a year.I've done 4 weeks of chemo & using RFA to zap the last bit of the spot is far more efficient that 4-8 more weeks of chemo! I'm scheduled for my procedure this Friday-out patient procedure.
Sounds strange, but I can't wait!
Please let me know if I can fwd on the link w/info about RFA.
Hope this info is helpful. Keep the fait & Take good care.

Penny
01-11-2005, 07:31 PM
My mom is having a tough time, she's very depressed. I think the depression is making her feel worse than the cancer. She just started Zoloft so we're hoping that puts her in fighting mode again.

I haven't heard of RFA. I'm glad to have found this website, it has so much info I haven't heard of before! I don't know if this would be a possibility or not. It seems as though the cancer is just getting worse and worse. I think she's getting very tired. It's been 24years!!! I will definitely not lose hope and try to get her spirits up again.

I wish you luck with your procedure on Friday! I''m sure you'll be fine. Stay positive, I think that's the key. I think that's why my mom has been here for so long.

Take good care of yourself, Penny

Brian
01-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Dear Penny,

Tell your Mom not to give up hope. My wife recurred after 10 years with lung and liver mets. Herceptin was her savior, she had a complete response and she is currently NED. We have entered the University of Washington study and have received our last dose of the vaccine. We have great hope.

I do not know, but if your Mom is taking Herceptin every three weeks you might want to ask him to give it to her once a week. My wife is on this regimen and we find it to be much less harsh.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Brian

Penny
01-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Brian - Mom was on Herceptin every other week. She was just taken off it because it weakened her heart and she needed a break. She's been on it on and off since 2000. I'm not sure whats next, I think her Dr. is ready for her to give up. I just don't know if she's ready to do that yet. That's what brought me to this website, to find other treatment for her that she hasn't tried yet.
I am so glad your wife is NED! I think we take our health for granted until we or someone close to us gets a disease like cancer. Then you realize how precious every day is. It has made me think about things in a different light and appreciate the time we have here. We just have to take one day at a time. Good luck to both of you and God Bless you.

Penny