PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Flareup with Herceptin Infusion

Barbara
12-17-2004, 04:27 PM
The last two times I have had a Herceptin infusion my allergies have flared up. Immediatley after the infusion I start sneezing, then my sinuses start draining, I cough and the first time I got larnyngitis. This seems to go on for about seven days and then I get better. I know that Rhinitis, Pharyngitis and Sinusitis are all adverse reactions to Herceptin but I wonder if any of you have experinced any of these symptoms. From earlier infusions I would get a runny nose and chills but never an all out allergy attack. The last two infusions were rapid, they were completed in 30-35 minutes and I don't know if that may be a factor or not.

*_Christine_*
12-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Barbara In the early infusions with Herceptin/Taxol I recalll getting benedryl to help allergy from occurring. I had no problem, but did have a sinus nasal drip sometimes. Over 5 yrsI have developed an allergy to the MRI contrast , and have been told by the radiologist to take 25mgs the night before and the morning of the Brain MRI. That has fixed it for now.
Herceptin has contiued to be w/o any side effects. It's been a blessing for me. Hugs

Lolly
12-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi Barbara, I have sinus problems for a couple of days after my tx, and itchy tonsils off and on, but not the intense reaction you describe. Christine's advice is good, why not take a small amt of Benedryl before infusion. Generally, the 3 week dose should be given over an hour or hour and a half period of time, and the weekly over a half hour period, but if you're getting the weekly and having this reaction, it wouldn't hurt to ask to have it slowed and see if it helps.

Love, Lolly

JKrak1975
12-18-2004, 08:21 AM
I also notice increased allergy issues...esp. drippy nose and increased asthma. I think the idea of using a little Benedryl is a great one but then I'd sleep through the day! My weekly infusion is given over 30 min. Good luck...Judy

*_Barbara_*
12-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Christine, Lolly, JKrak:

Thanks for your responses. I think I will tell the nurse about my allergy reaction and she if she suggests benadryl. I am getting Herceptin every three weeks and until the last two infusions they were infusing the 348 mg over an hour. The chills and runny nose were no problem but now I am sick for a week; even lost my voice for four days which makes me think there was swelling in my throat area. Thanks again for your advice.

Sheila
12-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Barbara
I get mine every 3 weeks over 30 min. time span and I too have had the coughing, continual runny nose esp. if you bend over for anything, watery eyes, I think I'll try the Benedryl too as long as i have someone to drive me home!
Hugs
Sheila

Lolly
12-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Barbara, if your infusions were shortened to 1/2 hour and that's when you started having the side effects you're describing, ask them to slow the infusion to one hour again, and see if that helps...it would be interesting to see if that solves the problem.

Love, Lolly

Isabelle
12-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi,

Is it bad to get allergies while on Herceptin? This drug is working so well for me.

I get weekly Herceptin over 30 minutes and have for the last 10 months. At first I would get the sniffles for a day or so. Now I have nasal allergy symptoms all the time: sinus headaches, drippy nose, sneezes, especially when I first get up. My onc said take Claritin D. I have and it helps. I don't take it every day, just if it symtpons are really bad.

I have always had allergies on and off throughout the year so I didn't really think it was related to Herceptin. A runny nose is something I can live with as long as the Herceptin is working.

Isabelle