PDA

View Full Version : new breast cancer drug?

michele u
12-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Ok, I hope someone can shed light on this question. I was at my friends funeral today, she died of bc. Her friend from Baltimore told me she has a friend just dx with Her2 pos stage 4 bc. She told me her Dr. told her She has a 95% chance of BEATING this with some new drug that is out? I don't know if she is confused about her dx being stage 4, or if John Hopkins has some miracle medicine they are not sharing with the rest of the world! The gal was going to go home and ask more questions, and find out the medicine and email me the info. Boy, wouldn't that be nice if it was true!!

Rozebud
12-11-2004, 07:53 AM
If there was a miracle new drug, we would have heard about it. I give 99+% odds that she misunderstood. Remember the post from the nurse that said A/C actually made the cancer worse and how everyone freaked out? I wouldn't put even an ounce of energy into it without reading a study. Look at how AIs hit the front page of every paper in the country this week. Something that had a 95% chance of curing mets patients would win a nobel prize!

Speaking of which.....did any of the nurses at the vaccine trials give you anything written to look at w/r/t those recurrance stats? I'd really love to see some studies. Surely they exist? Michelle - if you talk to them will you ask? Thank you!

mamacze
12-11-2004, 08:27 AM
I agree Michele; can you please share with us anything you have on the vaccine trials?
Kim (from CT)

Sheila
12-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Michele
I did see something on the news today about a test to see which women with BC will benefit from chemotherapy. I will ask about it next week...the only prerequisite is that you already have been diagnosed with BC.
Hugs
Sheila

imported_Joe
12-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Shelia,

We just returned fromm the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 2 hours ago. This test was one of the highlights of the meeting, but is not for everyone.

You must be node-negative and ER+ in order to qualify.

Genomic Health Gene Test (http://www.genomichealth.com/pressroom/pressreleases.aspx?ArticleID=13)

Warmest Regards
Joe

michele u
12-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Rose,
Didn't I forward that attachment from Maureen at Windber? Let me know if I didn't, I will do it again. I thought I didn't get it, but I right clicked the name of the attachment then it came up

Rozebud
12-12-2004, 06:23 PM
I hadn't gotten that one. Thanks for sending today. I sent you a reply e-mail :) !