PDA

View Full Version : UW Vaccine Trial - Need Repeat Scan

Lolly
12-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi All,
After reviewing all my documentation, University of Washington has requested a repeat scan of my lungs, based on two "new spots" in my right lung that were picked up this time. My oncologist, after reviewing previous scans, feels these are not tumors; possibly inflamation due to radiation fibrosis which has consistently shown up in the left lung, but the previous scan which picked up these "new" spots is over two years old and the FDA requirements for the study require a follow-up scan to determine if the spots are stable. We have to wait until the end of December to do the scan, so until then we're on hold and will just plan on enjoying the holidays and counting our many blessings.
Just wanted to share this with you'all. I was dissapointed, of course, but I am determined to get into the study, God willing.

Love, Lolly

lindaw
12-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Dear Lolly
That is so frustrating. I know how pleased you were to be able to do the vaccine and I also follow your progress. I would also like to do the vaccine and am busy trying to find one in Australia which allows Herceptin.
Your strength is you patience and although this is hard you will get through in the same way you have helped others to - including me.

love
lindaw

tennischik
12-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Lolly, Sorry about your step back. Do you know at this time how many subjects are in the study. I would sure like to be one. Am currently doing chemo for a few little lung spots, then I am raring to go. Also what does it mean to be A2? Can my onc test for that?
Mickey

Guest-StephN_*
12-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Oh, drat! but at least you have not been ruled out and chances are very good that you can "WILL AWAY" those spots in the meantime. Just concentrate on them and send the herceptin to them in case they turn out not to be from radiation.
I am now "deep in the heart of Texas seeing my stepsons in Austin." A little stop on my way to San Antonio!

Tennischik: For general info - the A2 allele is tested for by a special blood test that they use for tissue typing for transplants. Many of us are NOT A2 and could not enter that trial even though we otherwise qualified. Lolly is one of the lucky ones and I am sure the study manger will do all possible to get her in. There should be a link to the study somewhere in this revamped site.

Lolly
12-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks to all for your kind replies...

Tennischik:

The study is recruiting 20 volunteers, and the last time I checked there were 5 or 6 enrolled. I was told about 50% of the population is A2+.
I was tested for the A2 allele through my onc's office. The infusion nurse drew an extra vial before my infusion, and it was sent to the lab. I think they had to go to an outside lab, but not sure about that, any way we had results back in a couple of weeks.
Before testing for A2, we had reviewed info about the trial with my onc after I'd contacted UW and asked for a copy of the consent form, which was mailed promptly. It contains much more detail about the required documentation, very helpful. This is the agreement that you will be asked to sign when you go for the Consent Conference, so it's good to be able to review it. Good Luck!

Love, Lolly