PDA

View Full Version : fosamax vs calcium

lolam
12-04-2003, 01:37 AM
I had a sub. doc. this week. She gave a perscription for fosamax for my bone density. Does taking calcium have the same effect I am wondering. I had acid reflux when I was on Fos. before but at the same time I had unknown met tumors around my esophagus and I never knew which really caused the acid reflux. My doctor took me off fosamax at that time. I am border line osteoporosis so at this point I am doing nothing to maintain my bone density.
I had a bone scan this morning and they better not find anything, that's all I got to say!!
I hope your holiday season is revving up and you are enjoying all the festivities. God bless, Lola

PaulaC
12-04-2003, 06:42 AM
I just started Fosamax three weeks ago so I'm hardly an expert but just want to wish you the best and hope that you tolerate it well. So far, so good, for me. The hardest part for me is to remember to take it first thing in the morning with lots of water. I have extensive osteopenia and broke a hip this summer, so I hope this stuff works! Good luck and I'm praying for a good bone scan for you!

Paula
12-04-2003, 10:56 AM
I had a bone density done last September and found to have osteoporosis. My gyn doctor put me on Fosamax. I also have severe colon problems, and my system could not tolerate the medicine. My oncologist is going to give it to me intravenously four times a year -- no side effects when administered IV. I'll have my first round in January (had to get insurance approval). Hope this helps. Love and blessings . . . Paula

Irene from Tampa
12-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi ladies -

I also was diagnosed with Osteopenia in 1997, soon as my meno-pause started. I have been on
Fosomax since. Started with the every day dose and now have been on the once weekly which is much easier to take. I just pick a day and take in a.m. once I am up and before eating anything. Just remember not to lie down once you take. I have been fortunate not to have any side effects. But I also take at least 1200-1500 of calcium. Fosamas alone is not enough. I have bone density test yearly and so far have not progressed any.

Good luck to you all. Just another thing to have to deal with huh.

Maggie in Maryland
12-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Lola,

My experience with Fosamax and calcium is similar to Irene from Tampa. I started on Fosamax in 1996 for osteopenia. Now I am on Fosamax weekly which is much easier for me to take. I, too, have severe calcium problems (Hypoparathyroid) because of Thyroid cancer and my thyroid surgery back in 1975. I am now on 1600 miligrams of calcium (Citracal) and rocaltrol. So to answer your question: No, Fosamax is not the answer for low calcium problems but it is very helpful to stop the progression of osteoporosis. By the way, I, too, have acid reflux but take Protonix for that issue.

Hugs,
Maggie in Maryland