PDA

View Full Version : New Drug For HER2 +++

Christine
12-07-2003, 07:39 AM
A new drug was announced at San Antonio which shows promising results in women who are HER2+++ and had no or limited response to Herceptin. This drug is known as GW572016 and they are now recruiting for large scale Phase III clinical trials currently underway.

46% of breast cancer patients treated with GW572016 showed either a partial response or stable disease.

Below is a link to the National Institute of Health's website describing these trials.

Hugs
Christine

sherry
12-07-2003, 12:34 PM
I have been on this trial since September. On herceptin, my tumor markers started to go up. So far, I am stable. My main complaint about the drug is fatigue. Some people have diarrhea and a rash. I did have a terrible rash early on but this has gone away. It sure beats chemo though!

Christine
12-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Sherry,
By all means, please keep us informed about your progress. There are many out there who are HER2 +++ but do not respond to Herceptin.

Hugs
Christine

Maggie
01-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Sherry,
I have had two doses of Herceptin so far, every 3 weeks and had no problems other than falling asleep from the Benadryl. I'll have another Muga Scan in 3 month from start and that should tell me how my heart is tolerating the drug.
I hope your next treatment is trouble free.

Maggie

Sheila
01-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Christine
No link showed up.
Thanks

Sandy H
01-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Maggie if you are only getting Herceptin with no chemo then you don't need the benadyl. May want to ask about this. It will save time and get you out sooner to enjoy rest of the day. That is how I like to look at it. hugs, Sandy

Julie2
01-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Is this drug Lapatinib?

Julie

pattyz
01-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Yes, this is Lapatinib.

Maggie
01-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Maggie if you are only getting Herceptin with no chemo then you don't need the benadyl. May want to ask about this. It will save time and get you out sooner to enjoy rest of the day. That is how I like to look at it. hugs, Sandy

Sandy, I will mention this to my oncoligst next week and see what he says.
Thanks for your input!

Maggie

TriciaK
01-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Can any of you tell me if I would be a candidate for this testing or any other? And who to contact? I first had BC in 1985, had surgery only, then mets to two vertebra in 1990, 5 years of tamoxifen only, and then lung mets in 2004. I had 6 months of navelbine with femara and herceptin, then just femara and herceptin for 15 months. My onc stopped the herceptin Nov 15 when my MUGA and echo showed EF in low 30's. I'm currently NED since about October and trying to rebuild my heart in case I have more mets later. I feel very positive about the future even though I just turned 76. I suppose I am too old for any trials and would they be a waste anyway if I have no active mets right now? The future of Lapatinib sounds exciting and if I could be a part of testing anything I would feel it small payment for all those who did so much to contribute to the miracles that are available now. I really don't know anything about how trial participants are chosen and if I could be of any help, but I know so many of you are well informed and experienced. Perhaps your replies can be helpful to all of us. I am so grateful for all the help I have received here! Hugs, Tricia

Unregistered
01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Here is the website.

www.clinicaltrials.gov

Tricia, maybe you could find something that would fit for you? Try just typing, Lapatinib, breast in the search clinical trials area.

That is how I found the Lapatinib trial I am now in. It's only been 1 1/2 weeks. So far, so good.

The trial I am in is called "Study Of Lapatinib In Patients With Relapsed Or Refractory Inflammatory Breast Cancer".

I do not see the large scale phase three Lapatinib trial listed there, maybe I just missed it. But, if not, ask your Onc., he/she should know.

God Bless,

Cindi.