PDA

View Full Version : Christine, long term survivors who didn\'t have herceptin?

nancy w
12-28-2003, 07:13 AM
Christine do you know of any long term her2+ survivors who didn't have herceptin and node positive? Thanks.

Ann in Boston
12-28-2003, 10:14 AM
There is a woman on the IBC Support list who is HER2+, 22 out of 24 nodes, did not have herceptin or a recurrence who has just celebrated her 5 year aniversary this year.

Paula Polich
12-30-2003, 01:24 AM
Hi!

I was diagnosed in May 2000 with breast cancer and had a lumpectomy, three positive nodes, Her2 expressive 3++++++, and did not qualify for a clinical trial administering Herceptin. My insurance company would not pay for the Herceptin until there was evidence of metastatic disease. I even went to Chicago and was seen by Dr. Melody Cobleigh who was instrumental in the research and development of using Herpcetin for bc. She agreed that I should have been given it along with the Taxol, but I had two treatments left and felt it was too late in the treatment process to do it then. I have not had a recurrence (lots of scares), but as of today (I go next week for a liver scan) I have not. My oncologist gave me AC for six months, followed by Taxol and then radiation for three months. It's always on my mind when will it show it's ugly self again because I have heard over and over from others that because it was aggressive and Her2 expressive, it's not if but when it will return. I'd be glad to help in any way possible for whatever reason. Many thanks to each of you who always help me with questions and prayers. Love and blessings . . . Paula