PDA

View Full Version : shortness of breath again, heart o.k.

Linda in MI.
01-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Hello Ladies,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I wish everyone much joy, peace, happiness, and most importantly the healthiest year ever!!

I have some mixed news. I posted before Christmas that I was having shortness of breath. I was put on an antibiotic and within a few hours started feeling much better. However, on Tues. Dec. 30 I went in for my THC treatment. The day before I had a chest x-ray. My onc. told me it did not show any spots of cancer but that I had a tiny amount of fluid in my lungs. She wanted to make sure it was not related to my heart so my treatment was held. I saw a cardiologist yesterday and had an echocardiogram the same day that came back normal--no fluid, heart pumping great, high 50's ejection fraction. So, that's good news.

They are thinking (and I am too) that the fluid is related to treatment (taxotere and steroids). I noticed my breathing was worse after my steroids MOnday night--then I ended up not even getting treatment!! I had to be put on a higher dose of decadron (20 mg.) in mid November after I had an allergic reaction to the carboplatin. So, I get 10 mg. 12 hours before chemo and another 10 mg. 6 hours before, in additon to 10 mg. before the carbo the day of chemo. I really feel a huge difference with the steroids in terms of fluid retention, especially in my chest. I also have swelling in my right foot and leg. I just had markers in mid-Nov. which are inching towards being normal so I feel confident that the lung mets is not growing.

I feel I'm in tune with my body and I notice that the one week out of the month that I just have herceptin, I feel much better.

Today, I walked on my treadmill for 25 minutes, then a 2nd time for 15 minutes and I couldn't believe how much better I felt--no swelling in my foot and my breathing was so much better. I'm going to try to do this every day to get this fluid moving and out of my body!! I'm also juicing more too--cucumber, watermelon, lemon, and of course some carrot juice too.

I guess I just need some encouragement from my angels that everything is going to be alright. I'm confident but you all know how that goes....there's sometimes that little bit of uncertainty in the back of your mind.

Thanks and I wish all of you nothing but the best for the new year!!

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.

sherry
01-01-2004, 11:04 AM
I can't believe you are on the treadmill on TCH! I was on it for a year and spent most of the time on the couch with the remote control for the TV. I am very impressed! You are one tough cookie!!!
Happy New Year

Sandy
01-02-2004, 01:38 AM
What is TCH? Also what kind of a reaction did you have to the carbo? How many treatments did you have before this happened? I have asked to stop the steriods and my doctor said I could after a few treatmemts if I don't have any reactions. He is giving me a low dose weekly and then tapper off to none. Just making sure I know what to expect. I know we are all different. Hugs, Sandy

Linda in MI.
01-02-2004, 01:51 AM
Sandy,

TCH is taxotere, carboplatin, and herceptin. I have been on this combo since the end of June. I'm on the weekly dose. I had the reaction in mid November. That was rare to have a reaction that long after the initial dose but they told me that is possible with carboplatin. I started to feel "funny" like spacey, I called for the nurse. I saw on the monitor that my blood pressure dropped (bottom number 36), they gave me oxygen and steroids through my port. I then started feeling better. THe carbo was discontinued that day but was resumed with my next treatment but I took extra steroids, as I posted previously. It was very scary.

Blesssings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.

Jackie
01-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Happy New Year to you, too, Linda! I have no experience with carboplatin, but do have intermittent swelling in my ankles. Am on herceptin/navelbine with anzamet. I successfully discontinued decadron after reading on this site about others doing so. I'm not sure what causes the swelling but exercise does help. Echo was normal but my onc sd your heart has to work harder to attain that. Blood pressure is low, but not always when swelling occurs. I had shortness of breath when my red blood count was below 8.5, but aranesp has helped with that. I have been thinking of getting a treadmill...you may have pushed me along! Sounds like you are moving in a positve direction....continued good luck!