PDA

View Full Version : Return of Numbness-Nails

Linda in Calif
01-03-2004, 05:47 AM
Hi Everyone: Hope all of you had an enjoyable New Years. I recently posted that the numbness I had in my feet from Taxol had finnally resolved itself. (My last chemo was in Dec. a year ago.) Then I woke up today and the numbness under my toes has retuned. Have any of you experienced this? Figured once I had all the feeling back it would stay. Also, while I'm asking questions, my finger nails used to be nice and strong before Chemo. Then during and after chemo they have been very thin and break if they get even the littlest bit grown out. I thought that eventually they would come back to normal but this hasn't been the case so far. Have any of you who are further along this road than I am had your nail strenghth improve after time? Like I said, its been over a year since I had my last chemo and I'm sure the nails I have now were formed after treatment and yet they are still very fragile. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. Take Care, Linda

Jackie
01-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Happy New Year, Linda! I completed Taxol in May, 2001, and I don't think I ever did really get all the normal feeling back in my fingers. Since I'm experiencing it again from navelbine, I can't remember if it disappeared in my toes or not. I also had a small area on the back of my neck that was numb...weird. The joints in my fingers enlarged and still have not returned to normal. I remember a woman I met during radiation treatments saying that taxol stayed in your joints a long time (no qualification of "long time"), so it might not be a stretch to think the numbness might remain for a long time also. But to go away and then return! Maybe someone else can shed some light on your problem.
Take care, Jackie

lola,
01-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I finished taxolcarbo in April but my nails are just terrible. they split down the middle, they are soft. They break constantly down so far they bleed and hurt. always had very hard nails before. I wonder how we can get them back to normal again. The joy of treatments!! But we rejoice that we are alive to complain, eh? Hugs, Lola

Linda in MI.
01-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi Iola and Patty,
I've never had problems with my nails but I have read about tea tree oil. You can get it at Whole Foods Market or any health food store. I don't know personally if it works but I have heard from other people that it does. Do you take any other vitamins?

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.

Sandy
01-04-2004, 04:28 AM
It is my understanding our bodies will never be the same after treatments. For some its the nails, hands, feet, hair, skin, or inside with diabetes, kidneys, liver all kinds of body changes depending on what the effect the drugs, had on the body. I was told the neuropathy can come and go be permanent or temporary. Of the people, I know, had these drugs that cause these problems they all had some permanent damage. My doctor told me Navelbine was the worse one for feet and hand problems. I guess, we have to be happy with what we have left even if its not like what we had before. Hugs, Sandy