PDA

View Full Version : SIDE EFFECTS

kelly
01-15-2004, 10:22 PM
mom is taking navelbine/gemzar. has brain mets and some liver spots. has dirahea alot. is this a side effects of the meds or God forbid - from the liver mets? has the deiahrea (sp) daily -not just the day of the chemo. has chemo 3 weeks on and 1 week off. other than that no other symptons.

Kitty
01-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Kelly,

I have liver mets and do not have diarrhea as a result of them. I am on weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin and that does not cause diarrhea. I have not taken what your mom is on so I cannot answer your question if it is the chemo. If it is severe or bothersome, she should talk to her oncologist about it and perhaps they can give her something for it.
Kitty

Lisa
01-16-2004, 01:48 AM
I am also on Navelbine. It took me a few weeks of diarrhea/constipation to find the right supplement to balance it all. Be careful with the diarrhea that she gets plenty of fluids, esp. something like Gatorade so her electolytes stay up.

Love and light,

Lisa

Kathie in NJ
01-16-2004, 06:20 AM
Iwas on Navelbine also and it was suppose to cause constipation and instead I had diarrhea. Chemo effects different people different ways. Tell your Mom to drink a lot of fluids and take some pepto ( as long as the Dr allows) or immodium. Best of luck
Kathei

Sandy
01-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Bananas is excellent for diarrhea and they are loaded with potassium which is important at this time. Drinks lots of water! Hugs, Sandy

Lyn
01-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I had this side effect also for a few months but always stopped in the evening, so I had to be careful where I was and because I live about 50k's from the hospital I usually had to drop into a service station. I use to put it down to the drug getting the cancer out of my system so I was always impressed, then after a few months it stopped and the cells had disappeared also. Then again I warned another lady of the side effect and to be careful, and she didn't have that reaction, but it didn't mean it wasn't working we just react differently. That is how I look at the yucky side effects, we are just getting the bad guys out.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Carla
01-16-2004, 10:06 PM
When I was on taxotere, I had a lot of diarrea, stomeach burning, burnng when I urinated, etc. A nutritionist recommended that I drink Aloe Vera juice ( available a lot of places) drink 2 oz. every two hours until you begin to feel relief. It's completely natural, and the aloe vera soothes those irratated digestive tissues all the way from you mouth to the other end. Good luck-
Carla

Anonymous
01-18-2004, 08:41 AM
Kitty:

What side effects should I expect this Wednesday. First issuance of Taxol,Herceptin, and Carbo at noon. Already had 90 minute initial Herceptin dose. Stage IV mets in nerve endings of left arm. How about when I will begin losing my hair? Have wigs ready.

Kitty
01-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi,

You shouldn't have any ill effects based on my experience from this treatment. The 90 minute boost gave me chills and a temperature, but I have not had any problems with the weekly routine. I have been on this since 11/07/03, not missed a treatment (and I take it EVERY WEEK not 3 weeks on and 1 week off). So far my blood counts have been good enough and I do not receive any shots. My hair has thinned somewhat but it is not noticeable so no wigs yet (I have them as well from the last time). I take 10 mg of powdered glutamine 3 times a day for 4 days starting 24 hours after treatment plus 200 mg of B-6 every day. This really helps prevent/reduce neuropathy associated with taxol. My only complaint is that the decadron keeps me awake the night of the treatment (if I take treatments in the mornings). If I take treatments in the afternoon it is easier to sleep by taking benadryl again at bedtime - mornings are harder because I go to work afterwards and once benadryl has worn off (from the premeds) I am bouncing off the walls. All things considered I feel this is an easy treatment. Latest data shows this combination to be very effective. Good luck.
Kitty