PDA

View Full Version : L-Glutamine- to Jackie

Kitty
01-19-2004, 05:05 AM
Jackie,

Glutamine powder is very helpful in reducing the affects of peripheral neuropathy when taking taxol or taxotere. I took it during my first round of chemo 4 a/c, 4 taxol every 3 weeks and never had any numbness or signs of pn. I am back on weekly taxol and take it now ... still no problems. The recommended dosage is 10 grams 3 times a day for four days starting 24 hours after treatment. I also take 200 mg of B-6 each day as well. This dosage came from an article written by MD Anderson personnel on peripheral neuropathy and ways to minimize it. I asked my oncologist if it would hurt my treatment....he said no but would not guarantee it would help either. I find it works for me (or I am just darn lucky not to have pn). Hope this helps. I mix the powder with a little juice. Take care.
Kitty

Sandy
01-19-2004, 05:39 AM
You are so very lucky because, I took it and it did not help me. My feet were so numb I could not feel them on the floor and my fingers were so bad I could not write! That was with only 5 Taxol/Herceptin treatments, I had them every 3 weeks. I also took B6. Our bodies are all different. Good luck and hope it continues for you. Hugs, Sandy