PDA

View Full Version : Mary.........

patty z
03-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Boy oh boy........first instinct is to give you a very sincere hug. So MUCH to try and deal with...

To answer your question, Herceptin does not protect the brain. I am on my own little 'campaign' trying to get us all to ask for and GET brain MRI's even if we have to make up a few symptoms to get one.

There are cases like mine where very few symptoms that could be attributable to something ELSE, and like you without any symptoms, still have brain mets. The most I had at one time was 15 and the only symptom then was some increased positional dizziness.

So, yes, we are all that vulnerable and there have been papers expressing concern over just this issue when Herceptin has been indicated as a treatment protocal. There was even a short period of time where Herceptin was questioned as CAUSING brain mets...soon put down as not true.

Hoping for very good results for you with only the most compassionate of health professionals surrounding you.

love, hugs,
pattyz

Brain Mets - answered our question?

Return To Index Post Reply

Posted by: Mary - Tierrasanta in San Diego - March 25, 2004 (11:52 p.m.)
Sorry if I have missed any posts in the last few days but between critical illness for pets and my torso MRI, Breast MRI and Brain MRI I have been busy.
Janelle and I have been wondering if it is possible to get Brain mets while on Herceptin. Onc told me to come in today (3/25) for results. Did not even get the results of the torso scan or the Breast scan since he was so stunned by the Brain MRI. He would never have scheduled the test as I don't have any symptoms but I insisted. There are so many mets that they can't be counted and he is stunned that I am not showing side effects. Apparently most would be having seizures etc. with this many, especially this size. Already had my first treatment of whole brain radiation. Astoundingly I feel as good as I always have! Still planning to continue Herceptin. Is this because I have stage IV Lobular cancer or are we all this vulnerable?