PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety help

Lori
03-25-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi all--

I was wondering if anybody is on any medication for anxiety during this trying time in our lives, or seeing any counselor? I have found this support page to be of great help!

Lolly
03-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Lori,
I've been on anti-depressants for about 3 yrs now, have tried several different ones and am now on Lexapro, 10 mg a day. When I don't take something I'm depressed and teary, and don't sleep very well; when I take them regularly I'm able to maintain my equlibrium and take things in stride, and keep my sense of humour about all of this. We call them my "Happy Pills"!
hugs, Lolly

Sandy
03-25-2004, 07:43 AM
I take ativan and that helps me. I tried anti-depressants and I don't do well with them. Have tried several different kinds. I can take Paxol (?sp) but saw some information that it can interact with some chemo and prevent it from killing the cancer. Didn't want to chance that happening. Hugs, Sandy

Janelle
03-25-2004, 10:38 PM
I have been taking Ativan to help me sleep and prior to tests. It seems to just take the edge off enough to relax me. If you need something, don't be afraid to ask!

janelle

Elisabeth from Ontario
03-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Lori, I take ativan at night to sleep and an herbal product called passion flower if I get antsy. I also see my social worker from time to time. A retired pastor from my church visits regularly and we talk about a lot. I find all of these helpful. Anxiety is tough, its hard to keep all those 'what ifs' at bay isnt it.
Hugs and blessings to you.
Elisabeth

michele u
03-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Lori,
From the beginning of this cancer journey I had to be on something. I take Effexor XR ,its an antidepressant, and also helps with hotflashes, and I take ativan twice daily. This combo has really helped me alot. I was a very anxious person before cancer, so if i'm doing ok this must really work!! I tried alot of antidepressents before cancer and had alot of side effects, but i'm doing relly well on Effexor.

Hope
03-26-2004, 08:25 AM
I also am on ativan. I take 1 pill each morning and 1 at night before bed. Sometimes, I have to take one during the day. It really helps me. I also tried anti-depressants but did not do well with them. Right now, I am especially anxious because it's time for CT scans again. This is a never ending cycle isn't it. I also pray a lot and have some meditation tapes that also help tremondously to calm me. I will keep you in my prayers.

eleanor
03-30-2004, 12:01 AM
I take xanax. Mostly to help me sleep, but I will take it before scans and alot of times while waiting for the results. It takes the edge off.
el