PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Herceptin/How to Schedule a Vacation?

Barb
03-29-2004, 04:12 AM
I may be starting weekly Herceptin (alone) sometime in April. I have starting planning a vacation this summer for our family and will need to purchase airline tickets. I won't be seeing my onc for a couple of weeks to ask him this question, so can anyone tell me what you do when you can't receive your treatment?

Can arrangements be made at another facility? Just skip the treatment(s)? (That doesn't sound like a good option)

Thank you for any information.

Steph N.
03-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi Barb -
Since you have not started a Herceptin regimen, maybe it is possible to ask to get your infusion every 3 weeks. If it is not a specific trial, this should be possible.
I have been taking Herceptin on a 3-week basis since July of 2002 and have no trouble with it. I did get it every week along with chemo drugs for my mets, but went to the 3-week routine after reaching NED.
This schedule suits me well as I have to go into downtown Seattle from north of the city and this also saves gas and parking expense ($6 - 7 each trip).
You might also try calling your nurse case manager and asking the question about using another facility where you are going. I know this is possible as I was condsidering this, but timing worked out so it was not necessary.
Have a really GREAT vacation in any case!

Elisabeth in Ontario
03-29-2004, 07:54 AM
I have managed to take time off twice, the first time cause no ill effects, the second I had to extend my time off because of a family crisis and my lung mets became more active. If you plan ahead, you can for example, take 2 weeks off before vacation and switch to 3 weekly herceptin-which would mean a higher dose and doing a loading dose again. Then you can go 3 weeks before your next dose and revert to weekly herceptin. To keep things simple, I would just take a break for your vacation and start up again- you would need a loading dose again but that is no big deal. I hope this is helpful.
Elisabeth

Barb
03-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Thank you much for your responses. That has been very helpful.

Blessings..

JaneP
03-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Sorry to be late, but I have done as the others and gone to a 2 week or 3 week dose as my schedule dictates. In fact, I am on a 3 week schedule now since I am on Xeloda and don't need a weekly infusion of anything else.

Good luck and happy vacation.
Jane

jessica
03-30-2004, 02:56 AM
Hi Barb-
You could do the weekly regimen as your standard course of tx, then switch to the once/3week dose before you go on vacation...that way you're not missing any tx's.However, I had a hard time w/the side effects of the 3 week dose, so just be careful that side effects don't prevent you from enjoying your vacation.You can always switch back to weekly if you prefer it.