PDA

View Full Version : mixed message in test results

Lisa
03-29-2004, 07:47 AM
The last thing I feel right now is insightful. I found out my CT results tomorrow after 5 months on NAvelbine/Herceptin. My Ca27-29 is at 51; it started at 700+ in Sept. It's been hanging around 50-60 the past couple of months.

Yet our friend Mary on this site was told just weeks ago she was NED. And now, a test showed brain tumors too numerous to count.

So, do I have any insight? I wish I did. Only feelings of dejection at the moment. I'll let everyone know my CT scan results tomorrow.

Love and healing light,

Lisa

Pam
03-29-2004, 08:54 AM
I've been on navelbine/herceptin for almost 3 months now for bone mets. I just came from onc. app't.

Tumor marker ca27.29 was 55 in Jan. when I started navelbine. Then it went to 67 for, now, as of last week, it's at 74. So, the rise in count is disturbing.

PET scan last week shows slight improvement, no new sites, & slighty lower numbers on other site, but says "there is diffuse intensely increased metabolism in the marrow of the spine, pelvis, sternum, and proxiaml femors. This is typical for chemotherapy response. The intense activity with SUV measurements up to 8.0 may obscure bone metastases." So, it's not determined if the "shadows" are just due to chemo, or if they're preventing the mets to be seen. Since the tumor marker is up, I'm scared that's the case.

My onc. says lets stay on the same course & retest the marker in 4-5 weeks.

Anyone have any insights on these results?
Thanks.

JaneP
03-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Sorry, but I have no real insights.

I had my CT and bone scans this morning, so I wait for results. My tumor marker kept creaping up the 11 months that I was on navelbine/herceptin but we attributed it to the skin mets that were progressing. Bones and internal organs were clear on scans in December. My TM was at 118 last time and will be taken again Friday.

Good luck to you.
Jane

eleanor
03-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Hi Pam,
I understand your concern and I'm not sure if I can offer a whole lot of help here, but the one thing to consider is that abnormal cells use sugar at an increased rate, perhaps that explains the increased metabolism. Maybe the activity is because of the change in cells due to chemo and that things will eventually settle down. I would keep an eye on it, but not let it go for more than a few more weeks (that 4-5 the dr recommended sounds reasonable enough). Then if there is not improvement, I would want to change chemo asap.
el

Lolly
03-31-2004, 01:49 AM
Pam,
I also think it sounds reasonable to give things a little more time, as markers can go up due to good response from chemo among other things. Keep us posted and we'll keep the positive energy going in your direction!
hugs, Lolly

kerry
04-02-2004, 05:31 AM
When I had bone mets, The scan showed the cancer spreding even though I could now walk without a cane, was working again and felt ok. It took a year and a half on Navobine and Herceptin, but bone mets is now gone and has been for a couple of years. Hang in there, my tests contradicted each other more times then not. kerry