PDA

View Full Version : Regarding tests/insurance

Lisa
03-31-2004, 01:36 PM
I had CT scans of the head. Mary had MRIs. I would have to assume that both tests are accurate for brain views. In fact, I'd like to hear what oncs say about the difference.

As for insurance, screw insurance. Pardon my French, but I feel very strongly about pushing for what we need. Make it clear to your onc that you want this test and ask whether he can't find a reason the insurance companies will "understand."

This is our lives. We are not statistics, we are living, breathing women with families and friends and everything to live for.

Love and healing light,

Lisa

Steph N
04-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi Lisa -
Here is a quote from Paul's post to Mel above:

"Ideal testing for an HER-2 positive breast cancer patient is a PET scan from the base of the neck to the lower calf and an MRI scan of the brain."

Don't know where paul got this info - but he seems to be pretty well informed. Maybe your question can be more fully answered by paul.
I know the doc who reads my PET scans and his wife is also a 2 time BC survivor. I think he would let me know if my scans would be more accurate if done any differently.

Hope
04-03-2004, 07:37 AM
I have mets to lungs and bone. Last September, I started getting a headache behind my ear. My onc. ordered a brain MRI and thankfully only found l lestion about lcm. I had sterotactic radiation on it and in December, when they repeated the scan, it had decreased in size. I had no more radiation just a follow-up MRI last month. Still no change, and no new ones popping up. I get another follow=up MRI in June. Hopefully, it will be gone. Right now, the only thing they are doing is follow-up MRIs on brain every three months. Hope this info helps.