PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin side effects?

Barbara Sherman
04-03-2004, 08:09 AM
I have been on Herceptin for 14 months since diagnosed with liver mets. Chemo (taxotere) stopped June 2003. CAT scan in January 2004 showed liver mets had disappeared and doctor said I was in remission. I am suddenly not doing well at all. Off balance (fell twice), very weak legs (couldn't get out of bathtub, trouble walking), dizzy, headaches (for about two months now). Anyone know if these symptoms might be from Herceptin? Oncologist says not from Herceptin and he does not believe it is brain mets but did not order a scan as he thought it might be other drugs (I take Celexa for depression and a tiny dose of Klonopin at night to sleep). Anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what I should do?

Elisabeth in Ontario
04-03-2004, 08:22 AM
If nothing changes in 2 weeks I would push your oncologist for some investigation. It doesn't sound like herceptin is the cause. If you have been on those other meds for a while- it shouldn't be them either. My best advise- you are in the drivers seat- push for investigation.
Elisabeth

Anonymous
04-03-2004, 08:51 AM
I'd suggest you ask for a brain scan.
Good luck with it. I hope it's NOT brain mets, but your symptoms suggest it's a possibility. I'm not sure why your oncologist thinks it's not. Perhaps you could ask him. Maybe he has good reason to suspect otherwise.

Chandi
04-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi !
I feel, herceptin has done its magic on you, to become remission after liver met.
Regarding your dizzi related problems,its a good idea to see other possibilities as well, such as reduction of blood supply to the brain etc., while investigating the brain met.
hugs
Chandi

Lolly
04-04-2004, 01:29 AM
Dear Barbara,
Please INSIST on a Brain MRI, call first thing tomorrow and insist on seeing your oncologist. Do not take no for an answer on this. I know it's hard to consider this possibility, but you must. You owe it to yourself and your family to know for sure whether or not you have this complication to deal with.
IT CAN be dealt with, we have many surviors of brain mets on this board, and they are incredibly unselfish and dedicated in sharing their hard-earned wisdom.
Please keep us posted, we are strong in our support and will be there for you if need us.
Hugs, Lolly

Barbara Sherman
04-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Thank you all for your input and advice. I am seeing my general family doctor this week to check out ear problems and the psychiatrist who prescribed the Celexa and Klonopin. Don't expect much from them but will then go back to oncologist and demand an MRI of the brain. Again, thanks for your help.