PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sicker and Sicker

Annamarie16
04-03-2004, 09:41 PM
I haven't been on the computer lately because we are still trying to get the nausea under control. They put me on pills called Reglan 10 mg which are to be taken four times a day. One a half hour before meals and one before you go go bed. Well, Thursday I got three down and woke up in the middle of the night with severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. Friday morning took one and within 15 minutes threw the darn thing up. Decided to continue to try them Friday and by Friday afternoon I had such watery bm's and stomach cramps quit taking them. What's the difference if I throw up water or poop out water? Anyone try this medication?
Also, had my brain MRI last week and when the doctor called, asked if I had any more brain mets and he said no. I was so excited, forgot to ask him about the one they did gamma knife on. The other problem is I cannot sit up any longer then three hours. If I do, I get an excrutiating pain in my head behind the left ear. That is on the opposite side they did the gamma knife on. Sorry this is so long, but can't seem to get a handle on this. Doc says the nausea and no appitite is not from the Navelbine, so what is it? The cancer. Even the thought of food makes me sick. I'm getting so very concerned because I keep losing this weight, have no appitite, and when I do force myself to eat, throw it up. If anyone out there has some ideas, sure would like to hear them.

Elisabeth in Ontario
04-03-2004, 11:47 PM
I am so sorry you are feeling so poorly. Reglan is used to facilitate gastric emptying so that food doesn't sit there and make you nauseated. However, it also makes the gut move faster and can give you the runs.
I think you are wise to stop taking them. Do you have any basic anti-nausea pills- gravol, stemetil (prochlorperazine). Try those. If the diarrhea persists, get some immodium.
As a nurse my concern is that you are quickly becoming dehydrated. Can you contact your oncologist or is there one on call, either that or seek help in an emerg.
Hang in there.
Elisabeth

Lolly
04-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Annamarie,
I agree with Elisabeth, the immediate concern is dehydration, try to see a doctor today if possible, or first thing tomorrow!
hugs, Lolly

Annamarie16
04-04-2004, 04:19 AM
This afternoon I was able to keep Gaytor Aid and water down. I don't think I am dehydrated because my urine is a little dark but not real dark. That is the only way I know how to look for dehydration.

Linda in Calif
04-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi Annamarie: I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. When I started my chemo I got very sick. My Onc had me take Decadron for 5 days rather than just 2 or 3 and a drug called Anzemet(sp). It really did the trick. Anzemet is a small pink pill in a plastic/foil package. They are expensive but my Onc. said if my insurance wouldn't pay for it he would get me samples from the sales rep. Maybe this would help you. Take Care and I hope you feel better soon. Linda in Calif.

Elisabeth in Ontario
04-04-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that you kept some gatorade down, that is a good start, keep up on the fluids, stay away from anything caffeinated. Are you feeling any better today? I still think it would be a good idea to get assessed asap.
Take care, Elisabeth