PDA

View Full Version : Mom starting chemo

Colleen
04-04-2004, 08:28 PM
So happy to have found this board. Mom had lumpectomy 1 yr ago,no nodes,txed with rads and Arimidex. 3 weeks ago blood tests showed tumor markers high as well as liver enzymes.After MRI and body scans,Dr. saw tiny tumors in her liver,did a PET scan to confirm. They are malignant,and even though there are no lesions,there was activity in the bones. She is 78 and otherwise in good health. She will be starting a weekly dose of herceptin/carbo/taxol.I have read that the side effects aren't so bad. What can she expect other than hair loss? Anyone else on this regime? Thank you in advance.

Cathy
04-04-2004, 11:12 PM
I thought you'd be happy to know that my onc. told my last week about a woman starting her 9th cycle of these drugs! Your mom can do it! Give her lots of love and support, and be willing to just listen, even if it's hard for you. I do know these drugs make you very fatigued (different than just tired) and can cause loss of sleep and depression that isn't "her" fault (meaning she can't be "happy" by sheer willpower). She'll also loose her hair.
Cathy

JaneP
04-05-2004, 01:45 AM
Initially I found Taxol made everything tast bad and therefore I didn't drink anything for a few days. Bad idea!

Tell your mom to keep taken liquids even though they don't taste right.

I found room temperature ginger ale to be helpful when I was nauseous.

Good luck to your mom.

Jane

Cindi.
04-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Colleen,

Taxol wasn't too bad. I had some achiness in my bones and joints. Also some neuropathy in my hands. Everyone's side effects are different. Foods did have a somewhat more metallic taste. But, water was always OK for me. Defintely continue with hydration as Jane mentions. I didn't have any nausea with Taxol. God Bless all of you. This web site is a wealth of information. Lots of people who have "been there done that".