PDA

View Full Version : XELODA AND SIDE EFFECTS

Irene from Tampa
04-04-2004, 01:11 AM
I have been on 2650 mg of Xeloda since December and just wondered if any of you are also on Xeloda and what side effects you are having/had.

I am having the dryness on feet/hands but not too severe. My main problem seems to be my stomach. Aside from loose bowels I started having a burning feeling in my upper stomach (right above navel in that area) It feels when I do get that burning my stomach starts to feel bloated and full of gas. Then it subsides for awhile so it seems to come and go. Has anyone experienced this and what do you take?

Thanks for any advice.

JaneP
04-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Hi, Irene...

I'm taking 3500mg and am half way through cycle 3. Yes, I have loose bowels, but not too bad and only a slight and occasional hot feelings in my hands and feet.

My worst side effect is fatigue! My blood counts are okay but I am very tired a good deal of the time.

Jane

ellen
04-04-2004, 07:30 AM
I am on xeloda,navelbine and methotrexate for 1st line chemo after 12 weeks of ac ( could not do taxol so onc decided on this xmn regime) I to notice the pain in gut when I am on the Xeloda only have been on it for 1 month tho out of a total 3 months (2wks on 1 wk off must be standard) I am on 3000 a day. I wish I could say I had the loose stools but I still seem to battle constipation, maybe that is the navelbine. I would agree with you all that i'm tired but feel less sick than on ac so want to do stuff. Oh well as they said in Finding NEMO .keep swimming,keep swimming, keep swimming.Prayers to all on this board. It is the only place I could find info about navelbine and xeloda.thanks.Ellen

Jackie
04-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Irene,
I take prevacid for acid reflux (caused by ac) and found that navelbine caused heartburn in spite of taking it. I chewed lots of tums and tried to eat crackers just before the infusion. You might ask yr onc about taking something for heartburn and see if it helps. Constipation was also a problem with navelbine....I ate lots of prunes and occasionally took a mild laxative. I grew up in Tampa many years ago and think it's a great area. Good luck to you!

Velva
04-06-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi Irene,
I am taking 4000 mg Xeloda a day since mid-Feb..
had some acid indigestion initially and took Prilosec for it as needed, no problems recently. I make sure I take Xeloda with meals and plenty of fluids. The only other side effects are fatigue and hair thinning (I didn't expect the hair thinning)! Velva

IRENE FROM TAMPA
04-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Thank you all for your advice. They started me on Prolesec yesterday and I hope that helps. If not, they want to have a scope done on my upper GI (which I am not looking forward to)

Thanks again