PDA

View Full Version : Bad Test Results

shelley
04-07-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with stage II breast cancer in both breasts in April 2002. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy, 4 rounds of AC, 4 rounds of taxol, 33 radiations and 3 month recalls. Last week I found a lump around my collarbone. I had a fine needle biopsy and it turned out to have cancer cells. Since then, everything has been going so fast. I had a CT scan today of the pelvis, abdomen, and head, and next week I have a bone scan and the out-patient surgery for a port. Then I will start chemo (herceptin if I turn out to be strongly 3+ and taxotere.) I have gone from a II to a IV and my head is spinning. The doctor seems to think he can put this into remission and I know I have to stay positive, but wow! This is alot to handle. Any encouraging words would help.

Thanks for listening.

Shelley

Beth
04-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Shelly,

Chances are you only have the collar bone lump. Your doctor is going to call you with clean scans!
If not, take heart, because I was dx stage iv mets to liver and an enlarged node. After 10 weeks of taxol/herceptin I am in remission.
(clean scans) Please let us know how your tests come out.

Hugs,

Beth

jessica
04-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Shelley-
I'm sorry you have to go through all of this...it is a truly chaotic time.But you have come to the right place for information, wisdom, comfort & support.Keep the faith & take good care of yourself-surround yourself w/comforting, supportive friends and family.Let those who love you take care of you. You have more than enough on your plate right now, let others help any way they can.
It looks like you & your doc are already on the right track.Sometimes the hardest part is waiting for all the results to role in.As you research your options, consider "dose-dense" chemotherapy-that is more frequent treatment at a lower dose, but w/slightly greater efficacy and less toxicity.Maybe even consider a clinical trial so that you have access to drugs that are already showing positive responses, like Avastin-an antiangiogenic or the new configuration of Taxol in a nanoparticle/liposomes that helps the drug penetrate the cell more effectively.
I know it's overwhelming but there are many many options (I know you probably wish you could choose to NOT have this disease and not do any of these things-like I did!)but there are many many longterm Stage IV women surviving & living well.
Please keep us posted on your scan results...Will be looking for your post.
In the meantime, take good care & keep the faith!You can and will beat this!

Cathy W
04-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Shelly,
I am sorry to hear this. Truly. But you will come through it. You don't have any choice, and you will find out how strong you are (even if you don't want to...)! I can speak from experience. Only a month ago I was in your shoes. I have been on Taxotere, carboplatin, and herceptin. I just had my 8th treatment today. I am doing much better and I have it in liver, pleura, lymph and bone. Once you get started on chemo you will feel you're "doing something" to beat this. There are lots of gals out there beating this disease. Don't deny yourself some tears--good stress reliever. Then you can pick yourself up and keep going. You have the right to be afraid and "shell shocked". But you also have the right to fight this with everything you got!

Lolly
04-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Shelley,
My diagnosis and treatment was very similar to yours, except I was Stage III at dx. Recurrence 6 months after finishing radiation, to skin and lymph above collarbone. I was Her2+, 3+, and 6 months after starting Herceptin/Navelbine had No Evidence of Disease. Although I remain on maintenance Herceptin I am still NED(No Evidence of Disease). There is hope! You can and will survive! Repeat this to yourself whenever your spirits are down. Remember that we are lucky(!) to be recipients of the great advances being made in cancer treatment, and are writing a new chapter, maybe even a book, on cancer survivorship. Get of support, and gather as much information as you can about your cancer profile. It does seem overwhelming, but our minds do a lot of processing and sorting when we're busy "doing" other things, and all the information is being stored so it will be available when you need it later.
Keep your chin up!
Hugs, Lolly

Sheila
04-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Shelley
You are definately in the right place for good listeners, advice, profiles of courage and encouragement...I was diagnosed stage 1, clean nodes, then 1 1/2 years later the BC reappeared in my lymph nodes above my collarbone. I have been on Herceptin only for 6 months and my scans last week showed no evidence of disease....my prayers that you will get the same news, and it is only in the collar bone area...I remain on Herceptin every 3 weeks, no port, just Herceptin IV.
Hugs
Sheila